Any Rock Geeks?

mostly here in NH & New England we have lots of granite and different types of quartz you can pick up everywhere. you have to go to little mining areas to get anything else for neat stones/minerals.

I wish I knew more about the geology here...all I can say is that we are sitting on an iron ore mountain where my house is. I found a shell fossil in a piece of iron ore the other day, and I was all excited about that! My greataunt's husband used to be the head of a mining company in AZ, so I have lots of core samples, turquoise, and such. I luv rocks! lol.

This is tooo funny. I'm teaching the kids all about igneous rocks today. We've had a whole week on volcanoes. Tomorrow we get to build one. Today we get to make lava cakes. But today we get to study rocks. I loved going to Trona with my geology club in college. But I'm not a rock nerd. Nope. And I still don't have a few boxes of all my old geology books in my closet, just in case I talk my DH into taking the kids out on a road trip down the 395 either. With a side trip to Death Valley. And a few other places. And I don't keep a bowl of my favorites on my "plant stand" in my kitchen. Hmmm...I wonder if I could talk my sister into taking an educational trip up to Trona with her kids and get my neice to swipe me a few samples?
wink.png

Quote:
There is SO much amazing geology along the 395! I have driven on that highway who knows how many times and I still prefer DH to drive so I can stick my head out the window like a dog staring at all the geology. Ok...ok...I don't actually stick it all the way out..but my camera is sometimes!
lol.png

Quote:
There is SO much amazing geology along the 395! I have driven on that highway who knows how many times and I still prefer DH to drive so I can stick my head out the window like a dog staring at all the geology. Ok...ok...I don't actually stick it all the way out..but my camera is sometimes!
lol.png

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in here. I'm thinking a Sunday trip to Trona. Maybe stick my head in for a few in Randsburg.

http://www.totalescape.com/tripez/trips/fossil.html

Quote:
lol.png

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in here. I'm thinking a Sunday trip to Trona. Maybe stick my head in for a few in Randsburg.

Ahhh...fossil falls. I know exactly where that is! It is the old Owens River bed at the north end of the Coso Volcanic field. What Sunday are you talking about?

I still want to take you to Rainbow Basin sometime.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm a rock head, even have a degree in Geology. Just recently found out there is a gem and mineral club in Burlington and they do some field trips.

Quote:

Ahhh...fossil falls. I know exactly where that is! It is the old Owens River bed at the north end of the Coso Volcanic field. What Sunday are you talking about?

big_smile.png

We need to do that sometime soon. March is the Victor Valley Gem & Mineral show out there about 7 miles down the dirt on Stoddard Wells road. Called Tailgate. I go every year rain or shine.

Quote:
clap.gif
Do you work in the industry? I work in contamination/remediation. Not exactly what people think of when they hear of folks studying rocks...but I am a water geek as well, so it is very fitting to my personality.

Quote:

big_smile.png

We need to do that sometime soon. March is the Victor Valley Gem & Mineral show out there about 7 miles down the dirt on Stoddard Wells road. Called Tailgate. I go every year rain or shine.

I've never been.
hide.gif
Rainbow Basin has different types of rocks than Trona, but it is REALLY cool!!!! And the faults...and folds....oooohhh!!!!
droolin.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom