Any spinners out there? (Yarn)

I like stocking hats for winter, those are super fast to knit up. Actually faster to knit them than crochet I have found and I don't knit quickly. I figure my wool will end up as a scarf or a hat, maybe one of each if there is enough of it there.
I need to make hats again. I used to use a loom to make them, but I tossed it all when I was in a cleaning frenzy.

I need to make hats again. I used to use a loom to make them, but I tossed it all when I was in a cleaning frenzy.
I've been making them on circular knitting needles, basically just make a tube as big around and as tall as you need it, then pull the tail through all of the loops and cinch it shut like a drawstring at the top, I do a little sewing back and forth over the hole to make sure it's good and secure. You can add a pompom or not, your choice. I don't put them on my hats.

I've been making them on circular knitting needles, basically just make a tube as big around and as tall as you need it, then pull the tail through all of the loops and cinch it shut like a drawstring at the top, I do a little sewing back and forth over the hole to make sure it's good and secure. You can add a pompom or not, your choice. I don't put them on my hats.
I made some with big Pom poms

What wheel did you get? I'm very casually looking at wheels, though I may just make my own, I have found some good info for it on youtube. Heck, i've already seriously thought of chucking up the end of my spindle in a drill and running it on low! lol
This one, though it appears they aren't being made any more-
http://www.spinningbunny.com/wheels/index.html

Haven't put it together since I moved here though so it's still in pieces for easier moving.
At the time I got mine there were lots of plans out there for how to make your own from PVC pipe. And drill....hmm...that's a good idea.

Ok, I had a few ideas.

1st and less crazy, my mom also gifted me with a lap loom along with the spinning kit. I am weaving the grey wool on it since it's too scratchy to really do anything else with.

The 2nd thing is... I had the genius idea to try to spin cotton balls. It can be done! It's all lumpy and bumpy right now but I have like a foot and a half of handmade cotton yarn (I did a short section and then plied it to see if it would hold together or not. Since I have the brown wool on my spindle I was experimenting with the cotton just using a crochet hook as a spindle. Once plied it is surprisingly strong considering what it's made of and the skill of the spinner...

Just did my 2nd spin, this one was much softer wool and was dreamy to work with after that course scratchy stuff I did at first.

20200828_212225.jpg

I'm actually thinking about getting some Jacob's Sheep in the next year or so (have to research first), I have been looking online at the prices on their wool and unless I'm missing something, they look like having a smallish flock would be a good money maker.

I love to spin and knit, and long ago I had a spinning and knitting hobby business. It didn't make enough $$, so it stopped being a business.

I know people who have spun dryer lint, couch cushion stuffing, cotton balls, pet hair of any kind. One person snipped up feathers from a feather duster (bright pink) and carded that in with wool. Since this is a chicken forum... oh, the possibilities...

I haven't looked at wheels in a long time, so I would probably gasp at the price. Lots of them are now made with a double treadle. Those were just getting popular when I had to close my business and "go back to work."

A friend of mine made her own wheel and started with the flyer, since that has to be so well balanced. She said if she could make that, the rest would be a snap. It worked very well, too.

When I first started spinning, I asked a friend what wheel I should buy. She had many different ones and said if she could have just one, it would be a Louet, so that's what I bought. Since I knew I was going to be knitting sweaters, which take a lot of yarn, the large bobbin size on the Louet was a deal maker for me. A fat core bobbin was available for it too, to help with short fibers like cotton.

Now that it's cooling off... fiber is calling me... Maybe when the garden is done I'll have some time!
Sally

I love to spin and knit, and long ago I had a spinning and knitting hobby business. It didn't make enough $$, so it stopped being a business.

I know people who have spun dryer lint, couch cushion stuffing, cotton balls, pet hair of any kind. One person snipped up feathers from a feather duster (bright pink) and carded that in with wool. Since this is a chicken forum... oh, the possibilities...

I haven't looked at wheels in a long time, so I would probably gasp at the price. Lots of them are now made with a double treadle. Those were just getting popular when I had to close my business and "go back to work."

A friend of mine made her own wheel and started with the flyer, since that has to be so well balanced. She said if she could make that, the rest would be a snap. It worked very well, too.

When I first started spinning, I asked a friend what wheel I should buy. She had many different ones and said if she could have just one, it would be a Louet, so that's what I bought. Since I knew I was going to be knitting sweaters, which take a lot of yarn, the large bobbin size on the Louet was a deal maker for me. A fat core bobbin was available for it too, to help with short fibers like cotton.

Now that it's cooling off... fiber is calling me... Maybe when the garden is done I'll have some time!
Sally
Welcome to the thread! Sounds like you would be a good person to ask if I run into trouble! I am just spindle spinning right now on a super cheap basic spindle, but am kind of looking at wheels in a dreamy kind of way. If I get sheep I will get a wheel because I'm not going to try to hand spin a 5 pound fleece on a spindle.. lol (well, I might, but it would take FOREVER)

Good luck with getting sheep! What breed(s) are you thinking about? I remember Corriedale being fantastic to spin, especially for beginners. Not the softest, but I could wear it. I had some Rambouillet that was sooo soft, but the short fibers made it more difficult to manage.

A friend told me if you are looking at a fleece to buy and want to know if the wool will be soft enough to wear, take a lock and tap the sheared end against your bottom lip. If it feels ok there, it should be fine, as that is about the thinnest skin on your body.

Any questions, just ask. Get me talking about yarn, knitting, chickens, gardening... I'll never shut up. :D

I just grew cotton for the first time! I'm an avid knitter and crocheter. I'm wanting to spin it on some type spindle. Maybe Navajo. I hope to eventually get an Angora bunny, but I do like the cotton because I live in Florida and they make great bikinis! Not too many sweaters and scarves around here.

Back
Top Bottom