Any suggestions on finding a missing - maybe broody - pullet?

verlaj

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Micanopy, Florida
I have been missing one Partridge Rock pullet for 5 nights now. The flock free ranges all day, generally stays pretty close to home, and goes to roost at night. I have searched repeatedly for the pullet, but have not yet found her, a nest with eggs, or any signs of violence. I know she is so camouflaged that I could easily walk right next to her and not see her. I had one pullet missing for 2 nights recently, and found her sitting on a nest with 21 eggs in it!! I am hoping that this one is still alive, and is simply hidden better.

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how I might entice her to show herself or come back to the flock, if she is still alive? I've tried calling her while spreading scratch around potential good hiding places, and taking the dog around to help, tried searching at night with flashlight, during the day, on foot and on horseback!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Not to be negative,i hope you find her.But sounds like a fox or coyote paid you a visit.Or,she may have a nest hidden somewhere and you may not see her again till they hatch.

My thoughts exactly, but I don't think any chicks will hatch. We have a rooster, but I doubt that he is doing his job. I am counting the days off in case she is sitting on a nest and a chick hatches out.

I was hoping somebody out there had thought of some way of finding her that I haven't thought of if she is alive.

She is probably broody or dead.

One person thought their chicken was dead and it came back a month later with chicks, so.... Who knows? With her camouflage, all you can really do now is wait.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom