Any suggestions on how to solve our frostbite problem?

No matter what ventilation I have, if outside humidity is high, inside humidity cannot be low. Right? So in Colorado with cold temps and this WEIRD high humidity at nights I'm just putting vaseline on combs most nights with below freezing temps.

If anyone is looking for chicken hats you can place your orders here :) https://www.facebook.com/twoknottymamas
yippiechickie.gif

We have had temps near 20 below here, and have been using Vaseline as a preventative. No supplemental heat, no insulation, and no frostbite. We don't have any Roos, but some of the hens have impressive combs and wattles. We do use an enclosed waterer and sand on the floor of the coop, which I think keeps the humidity down. Also we have tarped the run and the coop is draft-free and well ventilated under the eaves. Good luck to all of our birds in this brutal cold!

I think my chickens are doing good here in Missouri. They are in a plywood hutch. It is 8 x 12'. Their is a thick
layer of straw on the floor. My hens are RIR & Wyandotte's. Also have 5 Bantams. Did have 6 roosters. They
about killed the 2 Bantam roos. 6 of my hens are laying 4 or so eggs a day & the 5 younger hens have started
laying 4 or so eggs a day. I haven't noticed any problem with their combs. I blocked off the openings to the outside.
I have a 75 watt light bulb in a cannister that sits under the chicken waterer to keep the water from freezing.
I don't know if that is a help or not.

I live in northern Alberta and we have temps of -40 at times. I feed only layer ration no scraps and give fresh snow in their bowls every day. My flock is very healthy and no frost bite problems. I still even get a couple of eggs a day although they freeze solid and crack before I get to them usually

Might I say that this thread is all fine and well but there are layers of considerations to be made based on where you live--i.e. your climate (a dry cold like where I live or maritime Northeast or Northwest with moisture laden cold). How many birds do you have in your coop? How tall is your coop in relation to the roosting bars (can humidity keep rising above your birds at their roost level and out the coop) . I think there are rapid weather events where outdoor humidity "Mother nature" is very difficult to fight against before temperature drops...these events are the worst for frostbite. And personally I believe "cold is cold" dry or humid. And this is where breed research for your area (picking the right comb and wattles) is key.

That being said there are basics to dealing with frostbite. And that is keeping things as dry as you can in the coop. removing Poop, regularly will help. Using dry pine shavings seems to absorb moisture from poo better than hay IMHO. Ventilation as Two Crows has said above the birds roosting spot.

If you've got the coop dry and ventilated you can try adding bag balm to the comb tips. Vaseline was worthless last winter for us. Bag Balm stays waxy and hardens a bit on the comb as it gets cold. I'm having good luck with it gooped a little thicker on the tips and reapplying each cold night this year.

Hot steamy foods brought out to the coop on a sub zero day steams up and clings to wattles. So even though they love that oatmeal or 1/2 squash out of the oven you really are doing them no favors. Ask me how I know this...LOL
roll.png

We all have to do what we think is right for our flock by watching them every day. And if that means throwing in some insulation and heat if you've got -30 F with -50 wind chills then do it. I'm doing it. with heat and partial insulation (ceiling, North and west sides) Sunday and Monday I can tell you my coop stayed at -10 degrees and the poop rocks underneath my birds were like granite and there was no frost on my windows on the coop. 11 birds, 7'x6'x6' coop.

Bringing your coop above 32 degrees f though is not necessary, though, I don't think. I think that adds to the frostbite and humidity level by allowing things to thaw and add moisture.

Last edited:
My 8'x8' coop is insulated, has windows on the north and east sides and a south side door with a 24" <3 shaped "hole" in it covered in hardware cloth. The <3 hole is open all year round. I close the other two windows in frigid weather but there is a chicken door close to the floor on the north side wall that is also always open. I've had as many as 20 chickens in that coop and currently have 11 old hens. In all the years I've had chickens (13 in May) I've never had any serious frostbite on the roosters or the hens. I use wood shavings. Their roost pole is on the east wall so if there is a "draft" it basically goes in and out the north and south walls. I have never felt a draft myself. The one year my rooster in residence had a tiny section of frostbite I put fresh vaseline on it every other day (which was a MESS!!) but it kept the frostbite from worsening.

Might I say that this thread is all fine and well but there are layers of considerations to be made based on where you live--i.e. your climate (a dry cold like where I live or maritime Northeast or Northwest with moisture laden cold). How many birds do you have in your coop? How tall is your coop in relation to the roosting bars (can humidity keep rising above your birds at their roost level and out the coop) . I think there are rapid weather events where outdoor humidity "Mother nature" is very difficult to fight against before temperature drops...these events are the worst for frostbite. And personally I believe "cold is cold" dry or humid. And this is where breed research for your area (picking the right comb and wattles) is key.

That being said there are basics to dealing with frostbite. And that is keeping things as dry as you can in the coop. removing Poop, regularly will help. Using dry pine shavings seems to absorb moisture from poo better than hay IMHO. Ventilation as Two Crows has said above the birds roosting spot.

If you've got the coop dry and ventilated you can try adding bag balm to the comb tips. Vaseline was worthless last winter for us. Bag Balm stays waxy and hardens a bit on the comb as it gets cold. I'm having good luck with it gooped a little thicker on the tips and reapplying each cold night this year.

Hot steamy foods brought out to the coop on a sub zero day steams up and clings to wattles. So even though they love that oatmeal or 1/2 squash out of the oven you really are doing them no favors. Ask me how I know this...LOL
roll.png

We all have to do what we think is right for our flock by watching them every day. And if that means throwing in some insulation and heat if you've got -30 F with -50 wind chills then do it. I'm doing it. with heat and partial insulation (ceiling, North and west sides) Sunday and Monday I can tell you my coop stayed at -10 degrees and the poop rocks underneath my birds were like granite and there was no frost on my windows on the coop. 11 birds, 7'x6'x6' coop.
WELL SAID!!!
clap.gif

I'm in Florida and temperature tonight are going to be on the 30's. Should I be worried. They have an open run which I added wood boards to make a L against the wind and put three red heat lamps in

Back
Top Bottom