any suggestions.... or am I asking to much for a duck.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fancie, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    My son loves the duck... but this duck wasn't raised to be "loved." and doesn't care for it all that much... but I have ducks hatching in about a week.... Any suggestions on how I can get my son and the duckling(s) to bond so they can tolorate his kisses and semi ruffish handling

My son has a touch of autism... but he really enjoys being able to tell his new friend about the stuff around him... He will carry this one around and tell him colors and shapes and it would be great to find him a companion....

am I asking alot from a duck????
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would get him a puppy, myself....

3. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are hatching your own I'd say make certain that the hatchlings are human imprinted. For the tamest ducks around I'd probably hand raise Muscovy. One of my males was so spoiled last summer by the crew building the barn that he begs food when he can & is addicted to chicken wings. Also I'd probably PM nettie with those questions as she has the house ducks (actually I believe they are condo ducks).
    Good luck with your adventures in ducks.

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    That picture is so adorable! It looks like the duck is at least tolerating all the loving and for a duck, that is good. As much as I love ducks, most of them never become a pet that likes to be cuddled and handled a lot (not that it can't happen, it just seems to be the exception not the rule).

That said, I still see my ducks as pets. Having ducklings every year makes up for how skittish they can become as adults.

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    they can become relly good pets. In my elmtery school last me and other pepole where running a program calud Pauls and there where some kids with atusim and they would come out and play under the perchut tha;t was the best part. Seeing the kids with atusim playing with and haveing fun with other kids.

6. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    My mom works with little guys that have autism (2-4 year olds) I'll see what she thinks [​IMG]

Fancie217 your little man is cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by