Any suggestions???

CrazyChicken Lady

My Ducks are in a row🦆🦆🦆
May 25, 2020
Missouri
I have two adult female ducks and every time they eat they choke. They inhale so much food I have to catch them and massage their backs and force feed them water. I tried the food in water like a mash so it’d go down easier but that made it worse and my one hen couldn’t breath. Does any one have this same problem? If so how’d you fix it?

I have two adult female ducks and every time they eat they choke. They inhale so much food I have to catch them and massage their backs and force feed them water. I tried the food in water like a mash so it’d go down easier but that made it worse and my one hen couldn’t breath. Does any one have this same problem? If so how’d you fix it?
Others may have better advice, but my first reaction is don't handle them right after eating. It can be very dangerous--at least that was the advice we were given. Our ducks do this too even though they have free choice food. Directly after their soup, they will often run for the grain like they forgot it was there and just chow down until most of them look like they are choking to death. They then get a drink, and all is well. :)

My ducks certainly behave like they are choking at times after eating dry food. They scarf it up and then go running to the water. Sometimes they even shake their heads and up comes the food!

Since I started feeding Mazuri in their water buckets that helps. I just dump a cup right in.

Other suggestions I can think of is to keep a water bucket right next to their food. Also perhaps keep food available all day so they are less eager to scarf it up?

I would be very hesitant to force feed water. I feel the risk of aspiration is too great, though if they are choking bringing a bucket to them is a good idea.

Thanks. Ok that was misunderstood.... I have only had to do that once or twice because they wouldn’t drink and my one duck was seriously scaring me, she was shaking and wheezing. I feed them Purina egg layer mixed with all flock. Also I technically wasn‘t force feeding water. I was dribbling some down her throat to encourage drinking. Sorry for the confusion :D Also maybe tonight I’ll try making the feed a soup...... so they will eat and drink at the same time. Also there is always water next to food, but sometimes I have freaked out because they seem to not want to drink and instead they just sit down and wheeze. Major choking only happens every Once in awhile but I was wondering if they can still eat easily if their food is tiny and floating, it seems as though that would be hard to eat? Thanks anyway, I guess there is not much I can do anyway if they won’t drink.......

Back
Top Bottom