Any sugguestion on gender would be welcome.

mynewchick

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Hello, I posted a week earlier regarding my orpington, now I have taken new pictures a week later, with another younger blue orpington .

The first two pictures are from my almost 11 weeks old orpington, really not sure male or female, can't see any saddle feathers yet, but is the tail growing any sickle feathers??

The last picture is of my 7 weeks old orpington that suppose to be a female, but somehow the crown seems bigger than the older orpington, or maybe the feathers around the crown is just shorter? Also the tail is longer.

Please advise. Thank you.

Hello, I posted a week earlier regarding my orpington, now I have taken new pictures a week later, with another younger blue orpington .

The first two pictures are from my almost 11 weeks old orpington, really not sure male or female, can't see any saddle feathers yet, but is the tail growing any sickle feathers??

The last picture is of my 7 weeks old orpington that suppose to be a female, but somehow the crown seems bigger than the older orpington, or maybe the feathers around the crown is just shorter? Also the tail is longer.

Please advise. Thank you. Ehhh, maybe a boy in a weird way but I'll say girl. Watch this one.

I'll say male on this. I can see that comb and what appears to be saddle feathers. Tough guesses.

I can't decide on either, the 11 week old, the pink wattles and thick legs worry me but it looks girlish, orps have so many late blooming roos it is hard to commit to vote pullet with them.
Is the 7 week old all orp? Looks fairly stream lined for one, same thing as the above, more pink comb and wattle than I like to see on a 7 week old.

Yeah the 7 weeks old is a purchase when it was a day old, it is gentle when I hold it. It should be pure blue orpington. The 11 weeks old I hatch from egg, and its doesn't like me holding it for the first 5 seconds then it calms down. The older one is much more playful than the younger one. I just can't keep any rooster, hence my concerns. Thank you for all the replies.

Nothing screaming roo at this point, but as stated Orps can be slow to mature, and roosters may not make themselves easily known until 4 months or so.

I agree the younger bird isn't pure Orpington, that body shape is all wrong, and that tail tells me it has mixed blood or is something else entirely.

The first one I'd say not 100% boy.
I'm thinking the second one maybe mixed with with a Mediterranean breed or she could even be a Blue Andalusian. She definitely is not a pure Orp though, even hatchery Orpingtons are better body type than that.

Nothing screaming roo at this point, but as stated Orps can be slow to mature, and roosters may not make themselves easily known until 4 months or so.

I agree the younger bird isn't pure Orpington, that body shape is all wrong, and that tail tells me it has mixed blood or is something else entirely.
I agree.

x2

Thank you for all your comments, I'l try to post new pictures of the two birds 1 or 2 weeks later and see how they change, I guess the second BO I got taken for as a purebred. Its still pretty, just want to know what gender, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom