Any Tricks For Getting Hardware Cloth To Lay Flat

NeilV

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm buidling a coop and using hardware cloth to cover openings. I see pictures of people's coops with nice flat hardware cloth. When I unroll it, I get a curly mess. How do you get this stuff to lay so flat?

Thanks,

Neil

I walk on it. I unroll it with the curved edge digging into the ground. That kind of holds it, as I unroll it. Then, I gently start walking on it, usually in my athletic shoes. After it's flattened, then I cut off the panel I need. If it's still too curly at any point, then I need to walk on it again.

Although it's easier and faster to unroll a long section with the curled edge facing up, this requires a weight or another person holding the edge. And they better not let go or you can get hurt when it springs back on you! After it's rolled out, it still needs to be flipped over, to make the walking on it effective. That's really a two person job.

I used US made 1/2" cloth - and it rolled out flat... Huge surprise and smile. The was woven before being galvanized - so I guess it had some reason to spring back flat. Only problem was letting go of it and it unrolling all the way across the street.

i know w/ welded wire my dh rerolls it the other way...but thats a lot more malliable(sp)
we have yet to build our coop...so i would like to know the answer also
anyone?

I think redturtle has it right I used 14 guage 1" welded wire really stiff stuff so i put it up with the curve curving out which looked better than the other way

Rerolling helps and I tack one end and stretch with plairs,it seems to work well.
hmm.png

I am working on my mini-coop project out in the garage today and have been struggling with the stuff hardwire cloth too.

For my first panel, I unrolled the wire on the garage floor. I rolled it back on its self and tried to get it as flat as possible. I cut it to fit and laid it out on the frame. I stapled one side as straight as I could and tried to pull and pry the wire as I stapled the rest of it. The result was not good. The more I worked with the wire the worse it seemed to get. It was all wavy and I didnt like the looks of it.

For my second panel I tried a different approach. I unrolled just alittle bit of the wire, and stapled the corner to my frame. I just kept unrolling and stapling as I went. The second panel looks great. It was my wifes idea, worked great.

With 20 guage 1" hex cloth. Secure the one end completely. Make sure you unroll it like carpet. The use a flat bottom head screw. (I use pocket cabinet screws, Although not weather resistant. Main purpose was to pull the cloth and the staples would hold it there.) Screw down about every 8 inches to a foot and Drive the screw about 15 degrees towards the direction you are running the cloth. (To create about a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch of additional pulling power with your muscle.) Then go back and staple with 5/16 or 3/8 staples about every other 1" hole (spaced 2 inches) You should get a good tension from that.

I just finished building my coop. I found that by using screws partially sunk into a top corner, then stretching to the other top corner onto a partially sunk screw to hold in place. I then screwed in 1X2's across the top. Then worked down one side, then the other and finish with the bottom. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom