Any way to help straighten the legs on a duckling with severe niacin deficiency

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So after we got our 2 ducklings, a friend who runs a rescue asked if I could take in 2 more pekin ducklings that someone had dumped at a local marina

Ones legs were severely pigeon toed. Started them on b complex. They were a hair smaller than my ducks who were approaching 3 weeks old. So assumed they were younger. But one has started honking so think they may be same age or older and just severely niacin deficient.

They are active and like to be held. The pigeon toed one, that my granddaughter named Floppy because it fell over due to the pigeon toed feet. But was curious if there is a safe way to help straighten out the legs while the niacin kicks in. Or just let the niacin do its thing and try to let them straighten out on their own.

The other duckling, Billie, is also a little pigeon toed but not as bad as Floppy.

Here is a pick of floppy’s feet. This is with her legs apart. Right leg isn’t too bad but her left is severely slanted inward
CC95E5FD-4355-43AA-AFD0-84A00CA6B4FC.jpeg

Bless you, for taking these ducklings. I swear people should be horse whipped for dumping ducklings or any other animal.

You could try splinting but I am not sure it will work just make sure they each get 1 ml of liquid B complex daily. Don't dilute it by putting it in their water they need to have a full dose either over a small amount of treat or by mouth. You can put it in their water but giving it straight they will have the best outcome. Also nice warm bathes where they can paddle around and build up leg muscles is good and fun to watch.

I bet your granddaughter is loving those ducklings. Love the names too.

Bless you, for taking these ducklings. I swear people should be horse whipped for dumping ducklings or any other animal.

You could try splinting but I am not sure it will work just make sure they each get 1 ml of liquid B complex daily. Don't dilute it by putting it in their water they need to have a full dose either over a small amount of treat or by mouth. You can put it in their water but giving it straight they will have the best outcome. Also nice warm bathes where they can paddle around and build up leg muscles is good and fun to watch.

I bet your granddaughter is loving those ducklings. Love the names too.
She is. She’s 3 and loves ducks. She will come out to the pen and feed them and loves just watching them.

Random funny story. As much as she loves ducks, my wife decided to get her a baby rabbit. Our daughter had one and loved it. She is terrified of it. Like it’s some eldritch horror from another dimension
She went back over to her ducks and stood over them protectively like she was keeping the bunny at bay

Back
Top Bottom