Good niacin supplement

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So took in a couple pekin ducklings that someone had dumped at a local river. They both had bad niacin deficiency.

One is responding well. The other’s legs are so bad. They were basically sideways pointing in.

Normally I use the B complex from TSC. I had a little and one’s legs are looking better but the other still has a way to go. But no TSC in a 50 mile radius has the b complex in stock for the past week and a half. And the app doesn’t give me the option to order it. Tried brewers yeast but putting some in with their food and they won’t eat it.

Any other good niacin supplements people recommend?

F3099B74-58A2-4B61-B678-11C858C39665.jpeg
CF341181-56CD-4E29-A023-C17A3FE37C0D.jpeg

Some pics of Billy ( now healthy legs) and Floppy

They are the same age but you can see how much smaller floppy is

So took in a couple pekin ducklings that someone had dumped at a local river. They both had bad niacin deficiency.

One is responding well. The other’s legs are so bad. They were basically sideways pointing in.

Normally I use the B complex from TSC. I had a little and one’s legs are looking better but the other still has a way to go. But no TSC in a 50 mile radius has the b complex in stock for the past week and a half. And the app doesn’t give me the option to order it. Tried brewers yeast but putting some in with their food and they won’t eat it.

Any other good niacin supplements people recommend?

View attachment 3497250View attachment 3497251

Some pics of Billy ( now healthy legs) and Floppy

They are the same age but you can see how much smaller floppy is
Thank you for taking them in :)
So sad when ducks are just dumped
I use nutritional yeast
1tbs to 1 cup feed till 12 weeks then I still sprinkle it on the feed but not as much
It has a cheesy flavour and ducks seems to like it
You can order the durvet from Amazon or durvet itself
Once a niacin issue is this bad you need to do the durvet vitamin B complex 1 ml directly by syringe or on a small treat like peas to make sure they each get the full dose
But also need ti provide grit if giving the treat
This may take weeks to fix
Giving it one more week after full recovery
You can also add Nutridrench to one of the waters or switch out every 12 hours from plain water to Nutridrench added if only one waterer

Thanks! Didn’t realize it was available on Amazon. Just ordered some

Flops doesn’t like the yeast. Floppy will straight up just not eat it. Other ducks go to town on it

The B complex will be enough if he refuses to eat the feed
So Floppy LOVES the B complex liquid

Had tried brewers yeast and he wouldn’t eat. Got a niacin liquid supplement from a health store. Wouldn’t drink it. Kept spitting it out.

Gave him a dropper of the B complex and Floppy drank it all and wanted more. Put some in the water dish and he was drinking it all up.

Hopefully with a bit each day Flops will get the niacin needed to fix those legs finally

So one of the ducklings legs are great and they are out and about with the other ducks.

Floppy’s legs are better but also not better
One leg is severely turned in. The legs used to be so thin. It felt like cheap plastic. Now though, The legs are getting thicker and with more bone matter

But that left leg in particular just will not straighten out. The right leg is still a little bowlegged but is getting better

Floppy is getting b complex niacin orally. And put a little in their water

Just keep at it? Or is there something else that I can do to help with that leg? Floppy is eating and is healthy otherwise. In the pen with the ducks. Just separated with this pen. Gets supervised pool time each day.

But can’t walk. That leg is so turned in that the feet occasionally overlap.
CB5F7506-623C-450B-8736-313027A1E9FF.jpeg

I'd def keep up the B Complex since you are seeing some improvement with one leg. The other one may never turn straight like normal if it was like this for quite a while before you got Floppy. A splint could possibly be made but an avian vet would have to be consulted or do you have a waterfowl rescue near you? they may help. Not to give Floppy up but to help with cost of vet care.
Poor thing I can see why she has a struggle to walk.

Are you giving 1ml daily?

Back
Top Bottom