Any way to prevent poop balling up on their toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, Mar 25, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I am having a terrible time with this and I"m not sure why. I raised chicks before, the same way as I'm doing it right now, and didn't have any problem with their toes building up poop into a pea like ball! I had to soak 3 chicks for 20 min this afternoon to peel the balls of poo off. it was so difficult! Is there any way to prevent this?

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I had that problem with mine for the first few days. I use a sheet as bedding for the first 3 days or so then switch to sand. As soon as i switched to sand, it quit happening. Maybe you should change your bedding? How often do you clean out the brooder?

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I use"puppy pads" for the first few days, just putting new ones on top of the soiled ones as needed. Then I switch to pine shavings or pelleted pine horse bedding (which smells much better and is less dusty).

4. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    We're using pine shavings. I haven't changed it yet since I just got them 2 days ago and it didn't look messy. It looked really clean, I had it pretty thick. I guess I'll change it tomorrow! Hopeully that will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by