Any writers out there?

So here's the latest conundrum. I WANT to put ink to paper. I love the scratch and glide of a good pen, preferably a fountain pen.

As a personal history researcher, nothing thrills me more to come across a bit of anything in actual handwriting, which not only can divulge what is actually written, but the handwriting itself can tell a tale. To make a connection at a personal level with an actual human being that held an instrument to put a thought on paper to be read, understood, and applied later is a remarkable thing.

So what's my problem?
I type faster than I write.
My hands don't cramp when I type.
There is no back up if I write, but is if I type.
Typing allows for instant editing, which is also a downfall.
Revisions can be gold, and are part of the process.
Typing allows for instant sharing and duplication.
The typed word lacks in personality for the reader, but is MUCH easier to read.

UGH.. WHAT TO DO?!?!

I print off my drafts when I finish typing them and do all my editing and notes by hand on those papers. Then I type the next draft. So you still get some handwriting that way, I guess?

My books I do the same on the computer, hand edit, and then correct online.

It's the personal journal I'm having a problem with. I guess I forgot to say that. Dang it, personal journals SHOULD be written in freehand. LOL.

Ah gotcha. Can't help much with that, I never got into handwriting in long form much at all (chronic carpal tunnel + dyslexia). I do all my personal journaling online in blogs :p.

Though I do find it more entertaining to handwrite when I use nice shiny colorful gel pens...

I write first then type.... You can also scan your pages to secure them to safety.

I have a file cabinet in a 40 foot storage container at my house in the desert. Sigh I have no delusions that the contents survived the past seventeen years...

I am afraid to find out.

deb

I have a sad reality regarding the "save to web" format....... I almost lost my geocities website. Was able to download it completely in time. I wasn't aware of Myspace, friendster, and tribe.net disappearances. They all died when I had A LOT of personal life drama. I'm glad my livejiurnal is still out there, hopefully it's tongue n cheek deadjournal is still out there too so I can download it soon.

I have also used the really basic notepad.exe for ideas etal, over 20 yrs now too... xxxxx.txt ideas, dreams, designs, stories, haikus, you name it....

I have a sad reality regarding the "save to web" format....... I almost lost my geocities website. Was able to download it completely in time. I wasn't aware of Myspace, friendster, and tribe.net disappearances. They all died when I had A LOT of personal life drama. I'm glad my livejiurnal is still out there, hopefully it's tongue n cheek deadjournal is still out there too so I can download it soon.

I have also used the really basic notepad.exe for ideas etal, over 20 yrs now too... xxxxx.txt ideas, dreams, designs, stories, haikus, you name it....
that cloud thing disturbs me... I have a removable hard drive that I use for back ups... its a measly 250 gigabyte.

If I were to buy a new computer setup Id be going for a Terabyte or more. But then I only save photos and the occasional document like insurance info. And of course my manuscripts... Now.

I was a computer geek back in the 8088 days... and untill Windows took over. My days of writing batch files and swap files are well over. It was fun tinkering back then you didnt have a lifetime of work to loose...

deb

[snipped for replies]
If I were to buy a new computer setup Id be going for a Terabyte or more.
I'm not a fan of SSD as the 'only storage. In fact I'm practicing dual backup for over a decade now..... a) 5400/7200rpms drives; b) CD/DVD RW's I made a few mistakes along the way. Painful ones with only 1 backup and that drive had an mbr corruption/fail and I didn't know I could recover the mbr and everything was still there till about a month and a few re-formats later....:barnie

[snipped for replies]
I was a computer geek back in the 8088 days... and untill Windows took over. My days of writing batch files and swap files are well over. It was fun tinkering back then you didnt have a lifetime of work to loose...
deb

Once a G33k, always and forever a G33k. I'm currently (painfully slowly) relearning Linux. I'm feeling more comfy with a few flavors: Mint, Puppy, & Fedora.... I begrudgingly use Ubuntu from time to time. I'm currently trying to figure out the tweaks to get the QNAP NAS apps to work on both our phones And PC's when not actually in this house. /Facepalm it feels like I'm gonna be the "that adult" a "youngin's" gonna show me the vcr's remote control intro.

Back
Top Bottom