Anybody do beekeeping?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    We're wanting to get into this. We've ordered some books, but do you have a great place to order hives from? Any info would be appreciated.

2. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
  3. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Mannlake in Woodland.Great place for all equipment,and free shipping until Dec!

You can order from their catalogue or just visit their factory store.Very friendly,helpful and it's employee owned!

good luck-this has been a great summer for my hives,not too hot and lots of pollen.My 5 raspberry plants are exploding with berries and still blossoming.Aplum tree that I summer pruned has blossomed -in October!

Hoping that this year they can winter well into spring-
    again,good luck!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

One of our moderators here on BYC is a beekeeper, and I buy honey from her. In fact, I am just about out so it almost time to contact Reinbeau again [​IMG] The honey has the BEST flavor.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think this is going ot be my spring project...
    Hubby and i have been talkng about this for a while now...
    Hubby better toughen up.. and get used to a few bee stings [​IMG]... (if hes trapped with a bee..like in a car or something... he hops around like a little girl.. [​IMG]...)

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Awesome! Thanks for the info! Off to read the 47 page beekeeping thread!

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We have 2 hives. Love 'em.

Today I heard a buzzing in the kitchen which would normally send me hunting down the fly swatter.
    But now I have to do bee 'ID'. Since it was one of my honey makers, I had to swish it out an open window.

LOL

8. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    If you really want bee hives, post on Craigslist that you will pick up swarms. On warm summer days you can pick up several a day. Look for the bigger sized easy to reach swarms.

Some are easy to keep others mean! If you lived closer, we have been giving away bee keeping supplies (rather old stuff unfortunately)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by