Anybody else stalking their chickens for first eggs?

I have 2 RIR one is mixed with Speckled Sussex and an olive egger I'm waiting to lay their first any day now! They're 20 weeks! My aunt said sometimes they'll wait for the weather to get cooler before their first egg. Thoughts?
This is my first time, so IDK, but I think extreme heat can make them stop or not start laying. We've had a week of cooler temps, but today is gonna get hot.

This is my first time, so IDK, but I think extreme heat can make them stop or not start laying. We've had a week of cooler temps, but today is gonna get hot.
Were expecting some cooler nights here but tomorrow it's supposed to be hotttt! And I'll be set up at TSC for the makers, bakers, and farmers market. Wish me luck!

I feel this! I have 4 Easter Eggers that are now 22 weeks old and I’m eagerly waiting for eggs any day now. I know EEs typically lay later than most other breeds but I feel like it’s been any day now for like 2 weeks. Lol they have been showing signs for a while now.. very red faces & combs, squating a ton, checking out the nesting boxes, I even heard a distinct egg song the other day but no egg! So frustrating!

I feel this! I have 4 Easter Eggers that are now 22 weeks old and I’m eagerly waiting for eggs any day now. I know EEs typically lay later than most other breeds but I feel like it’s been any day now for like 2 weeks. Lol they have been showing signs for a while now.. very red faces & combs, squating a ton, checking out the nesting boxes, I even heard a distinct egg song the other day but no egg! So frustrating!
Sounds like they're playing with you lol

Hahaha I think so! Feels like we are never gonna get eggs. I’ll be amazed when one pops up! 😭 Any advice or other signs I should look for?
This is exactly where I have been for 2 weeks. I've been doing the pelvic bone check and these 3 girls have all been at over 3 fingers width for a week. I kept saying any day...but nothing. This morning was the first time someone had been in a nesting box though. Saw it all messed up. Went back in the afternoon and caught this one a different box. One of my others seemed very interested in what she was doing in there. So, I hope she was taking notes.

I finally got my first egg from our olive egger last Friday, and have gotten 4 more since, but now I am stalking her sister. I am also stalking one that I thought was a black jersey giant, but since she's only 15 weeks and she suddenly has a developed red comb and wattles, I am unsure. She was supposed to be a sapphire gem but the local tractor supply mixed the orders up, so I have no idea what she is.
1000007700.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007700.jpg
    1000007700.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1000007755.jpg
    1000007755.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 3
This is exactly where I have been for 2 weeks. I've been doing the pelvic bone check and these 3 girls have all been at over 3 fingers width for a week. I kept saying any day...but nothing. This morning was the first time someone had been in a nesting box though. Saw it all messed up. Went back in the afternoon and caught this one a different box. One of my others seemed very interested in what she was doing in there. So, I hope she was taking notes.
That's crazy! My OE laid her first egg 2 days after I noticed her pin bones were 2.5 fingers apart! It's crazy how they are all so different.

I've heard about checking the pelvic bone but I haven't actually done this with mine! I'd place my fingers below the vent yah?

I've heard about checking the pelvic bone but I haven't actually done this with mine! I'd place my fingers below the vent yah?
Yeah. At first I wasn't sure I did it right but I just hold them with my left arm under their body and between their legs and fluff their tail up a bit and then feel around.
I only have one that really has the patience for it, so after a few practices with her, I was able to find it faster on my other 2.

Back
Top Bottom