Anybody else stalking their chickens for first eggs?

I've heard about checking the pelvic bone but I haven't actually done this with mine! I'd place my fingers below the vent yah?
Theres an article here somewhere on how to find them. I am not sure where it is though.

If you place your hand in the space below their vent with your pointer finger closest to the vent your finger will either land on or just below the pin bones so if you push your hand upwards towards the vent you should feel them sticking out on either side. To me it feels like the back of their legs for whatever reason, but it's their pelvis. 🤣

I'm trying to imagine me doing that every day, while my cockerel murders me for making one of his ladies squawk.
Nope, the picture is not coming to me. :idunno
My cockerel isn't the brightest crayon in the box. I'm not sure that he is aware he is a rooster yet. And my chickens don't care that he is either. 🤣 He's just a big chicken that crows and steals all the treats.

My roo is only like that over his Harriet she's queen hen for sure!
Mine goes with them when they want to lay. Gets in the nest first to make sure he is happy with it. Gets out and stands guard at the ramp door for a bit until he is happy she is settled in. Then ducks out and comes back every now and then to check on her.

He is over the top protective of his pullets and their eggs too. If he even sees me at the nest hatch, he races over and complains loudly while giving me the hairy eyeball. Seems like he has serious plans on being a Dad.

Mine goes with them when they want to lay. Gets in the nest first to make sure he is happy with it. Gets out and stands guard at the ramp door for a bit until he is happy she is settled in. Then ducks out and comes back every now and then to check on her.

He is over the top protective of his pullets and their eggs too. If he even sees me at the nest hatch, he races over and complains loudly while giving me the hairy eyeball. Seems like he has serious plans on being a Dad.
The hairy eyeball LOL love it! The Colonal guards mine when they lay but is not aggressive towards me if I'm in there. It's like he's there for emotional support! Until owning chickens I never would have guessed how socialable they are!

Our BOs turned 21 weeks earlier this week. We're anxiously waiting. We've got who is kind of does the squat when you put your hand on her back, but she still slinks away. We've got another who's more skittish with the had, but in the last couple days her comb, wattles and face have turned significantly more red. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom