Anybody ever heard of "speedies"?

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
I have only ever seen them in New York state and love them. We made a batch last week and they were sooooo good yesterday.

You want a cubed meat, I usually use venision but you can use beef also. Cut it up into bite sized peices. Put them in a deep bowl with a lid, add spices - salt, garlic, pepper, bay leaf, red pepper, thyme, cumin or anything else you like. 1 cup of vinegar, 1 cup red wine, enough water to cover the meat by about 2 inches. over that add about an inch of veg oil. Don't stir, you want the oil to cover the top and seal out the air.

Cover and set it out at room temp for at least 5 days. Ok your stomach is rolling now and you are checking to see if your life insurance covers botulism. The oil forms a seal and the meat doesn't spoil. About every other day I would stir the meat with a fork under the oil to keep the spices off the bottom. When you are ready to cook put the meat on skewers and we cook on the charcoal grill, the meat is super super tender. With the spices, wine and vinegar you are pretty much making Italian salad dressing and the meat will have that taste. Enjoy

Steve in NC
ate a bunch of it yesterday and still kicking today
smile.png

Im not sure Im game enough to try that....okay someone, do it...try it...if we don't hear back from you we'll know how it turned out.

FYI - this would probably work just as well if you let it soak in the fridge. We ofen use Italian dressing to tenderize and flavor meat. We leave it in the fridge and it works just fine. There is no sense in risking spoilage in the meat.

okay..whos trying this first??
pop.gif

Sounds good though...tempting..
but i want one of you to go first..
lol.png

I'm curious as to why leave it out? Is there a reason? Gotta be right? LOL I would love to try it but wondering if it would work storing it in the fridge or if there is a big reason to leave it at room temp.

I think the idea behind leaving it out is it's gets more tender. You could do it in the fridge I guess. Even in the fridge we all know what happens when that container of leftovers gets pushed back in the back and grows. lol

It's the same principle as making saurkraut, as long as the cabbage is under the brine fermenting it doesn't spoil. If you have a head out on the counter it turns pretty quick. By blocking the air you either slow way way down or stop the spoiling. I remember my Grandfather pushing the mold etc out of the way from the buckets of kraut and taking a sample to see if it was ready.

When I wrote down the recipe for speedies, I remember it said make sure you have enough oil on the top to block the air.

I just did a search on the history - I didn't even spell it right, look at the dates. I figure they marinaded it at room temp beacuse there weren't any fridges.

Incase you opened up this question just to see what on earth a spiede is, from barbecuenews.com:

It’s said that the spiedie, a sandwich made of meat cooked in a manner similar to shish kebab, was introduced to America by Augustine Iacovelli. In 1929, he immigrated to the Binghamton, New York, area from Civitella in Abruzzi, Italy. Ten years later, Iacovelli left his job at Endicott-Johnson, a shoe manufacturer, and struck out on his own, opening Augies restaurant in Endicott. There, he introduced the spiedie, solid working class food from his native Abruzzi, that became popular among foreign-born railroad workers and shoemakers.

The term spiedie comes from the Italian word "spiedo," meaning "spit" and/or "spiedini," meaning skewered meat. (Now I know where the Speedo swimming suit got its name!) It’s reported that Iacovelli’s original spiedies, consisting of chunks of lamb, were impaled on wooden skewers and broiled over charcoal. Prior to cooking, and throughout the grilling process, the spiedies were sprayed with a sauce that Iacovelli called "Zuzu," consisting of wine vinegar, water, lemon juice, garlic, and mint. Cradled in a couple of slices of Italian bread, the spiedie was a satisfying meal for hungry workers.

Today, spiedies are still served throughout the Binghamton, New York, area. Indeed, the spiedie has attained a virtual cult status among locals, and so popular is the sandwich that it has spawned the annual Spiedie Fest held over a four-day period every August since 1983.

Meats used in the preparation of today’s spiedies vary widely, running the gamut from lamb to chicken, beef, pork, and even wild game. And Iacovelli’s sauce has evolved into a marinade, typically based on olive oil, garlic, and vinegar along with unique combinations of herbs favored in Italian cooking, such as mint, basil, oregano, parsley, and rosemary. The marinating process, which tenderizes the meat, can take up to a week but is never less than 24 hours. The spiedies are grilled and then plopped, minus the skewer, between slices of Italian bread or into buns with a judicious splash of extra marinade.

Bottled spiedie sauce, or marinade, can be found under many labels throughout the region, and expatriates nursing a craving for spiedies have their favorite brand shipped by the case to destinations throughout the United States. Curiously, the sandwich’s popularity has not spread commercially beyond the Binghamton region.

An essential summer food where I grew up, you could buy them in every local grocery store. A spiedie sandwich was easy to find in most resturants, and some (Lupo’s, and Sharky’s- home of the speedie) would sell them raw for you to take home and cook.

Spiedies NEVER have veggies on them! Commonly they’re made from chicken or pork, but often they are made of lamb, dear, and sometimes bear or other game. They are marinated meat on a stick, grilled to perfection. Watch out through, the little cubes of meat dry out fast! The perfect spiedie is a true art around Binghamton, and the annual Spiediefest and Baloon Rally is dedicated to that.

Unfortunately, unlike the Buffalo wing, good and true spiedies are really tough to find outside Binghamton, NY, Syracuse, NY, and the places inbetween. Thanks to Lupo’s (my personal favorite, although Salammida's State Fair Speedie Sauce is pretty easy to find online too) you can go to http://www.spiedies.com/ and get spiedie marinade so you can grill them up any time you want!

Steve

Last edited:
OK Steve... there's a a store front in Wilton Iowa screaming for a Spiedie outlet.. I'll get the Realtor's phone number for you.... no lunch today .. .dang I'm hungry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom