Anybody ever knock a rooster out???

only when he spurred me - only took one hard swat upside his chest and he never did it again. It happened when he was just a young guy so i guess he learned a lesson that has keep him out of the pot!! He's a big jersey giant/standard cochin cross and my ladies love him so I couldn't do him in - most times he's a great guy.

Quote:
gig.gif
I'm afraid that will be the fate of mine if he doesn't start acting right. He's back at it again today!

All Males are a risk like this, Bulls or Roos.... Rams or Boars.. can't trust them. I knocked the snot out of my Roo last year. Now he respects me.

My grandfather knocked a cow over the head with a stick once, knocked her cold...she got up and didn't attack again. He was a kind kind man, but once he was pushed that far those fist were like Iron. He had arms Like Popeye The day he knocked that cow out was the day I knew never to mess W/Grandpa and no one would mess with us grandkids eather
smile.png

preppy*hippie*chick :

The gist I'm getting here is that one should not keep a RIR roo without owning a set of full body armor!

As with all others, I guess it depends on the bird. My step-father has a huge RIR roo that is as gentle as can be. My 9 yr. old holds and pets him. He hasn't jumped on anybody so far.
fl.gif

He will jump at other chickens when new ones are introduced, but has never attacked a person.​

I agree about getting rid of one that attacks children. That's just a little too much for me. If any of ours ever attacks my daughter or even tries, it's going to find a new home.

You guys will probably laugh, but I actually had to knock a mean cat in the head with a stick one time. I was walking my dog and this cat just ran up out of nowhere and jumped on him. I always walk with a stick since a neighbor's dog tried to attack us, so I hit the cat with it. I didn't totally knock it out, but I knocked it backwards and it was dazed a bit. It tried creeping back up behind us soon after and all I had to do was turn around and hold the stick up. It ran the other way as fast as it could go!

Edited to add: I saw that cat in the road about a week later where it had been killed by a car. I was glad to see it gone, but I promise I wasn't the one who ran over it.

Last edited:
Quote:
As with all others, I guess it depends on the bird. My step-father has a huge RIR roo that is as gentle as can be. My 9 yr. old holds and pets him. He hasn't jumped on anybody so far.
fl.gif

He will jump at other chickens when new ones are introduced, but has never attacked a person.

Oh, I know. But it does seem like certain breeds are more prone to develop aggression than others.

Actually, I can appreciate their aggression as long as it's directed at potential threats. The problem seems to be getting off the list of threatening entities!

When I had ee's and orps and they mixed and matched I ended up with seven roos. I went outside one day and there were several of them attacking one of the rescue banty roos I got from justasnak. I had my walking stick and ran over there and started swinging. I thought I had killed one but just knocked it out. I gave them away to someone who was able to put them in a freezer. No mean roo will live long here.

Quote:
My white cat Twinkle (AKA Twinkie) has been seen "riding" non-residential dogs off my property. She was fluffed to the size of a big racoon. The last one was a Beagle. Haven't seen him since.

Back
Top Bottom