Anybody give their chicks a bath?

spock78

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
My chicks made a huge mess in their brooder & of course themselves... Anybody here give their week old chicks a bath & what with??

Never give a chick a bath. If they have pasty buts I would gently wipe the vents with a warm cloth, careful never soaking them. The only time I have heard of people bathing birds if they are going to a chicken show and these are adult birds. Bathing chicks is a big no no.

I don't give my chicks baths because they can chill too easily. Even if they are messy now, in 6 weeks they'll loose all that dirty fluff, and in about 3 months, they'll start growing in big clean chicken feathers.

I must admit,,,I have given many baby chicks baths on their behinds! I just can't let pooop hang on it like that so I rinse it off with warm water then blow dry with low air flow. Some don't like it and others don't seem to mind.
Yes, I'm weird,,but hey I got clean chick behinds over here!
Julie
smile.png

Hmmmmm, maybe someone should invent a chicken bidet! Wash N Go!

Thanks for the replies. I knew it could chill them. It's just that they are so crusted in poop & what not that I didn't think that was good for them either.
I wish I could find my cam. These babies look pathetic now.
All this within a few hours of completely cleaning thier brooder. What a mess!!

maybe you you could just wet a cloth with warm water and take each chick individually and wipe them clean, thats all i can think of hope it helps
hmm.png

Cheri,

I know you meant your husband cleaned the chicks butt, but when I read it I had to laugh at how it sounds. Cute !

TJ in NC

Back
Top Bottom