Anybody hatching around March 7th? PICS page 9,18

Today is day 17 for me! I need to decide if I'm going to use the carton method or not. I am using a Brower Top Hatch incubator, but have been turning the eggs myself. I've held the temp at 99.5 pretty steadily, and the humidity has been between 40-53% so far... how does this sound? I'm following the instructions that came with the incubator.... it says to stop turning on day 18, and up the humidity to 75%? What should I do - should I put them in cartons tonight, or in the morning? And get that humidity up - how??? I've already got a humidifier in the room with the incubator, and a wet washcloth in there to keep the humidity up to 52%... I'm nervous, I guess!

I use the cartons too. I will have eggs to the hatcher come friday again. I guess I am hatching about every7 days
BTW Sundown i just hatched some gorgeous black silkie Beebeees and also a white and two buffs. Eggs that didnt' go out in the mail. I don't have any silkies giving me eggs these days. All are sitting.

Last edited:
I am hatching on the 6th. I have a mixture of various breeds in there. I started with 37, but about 10 didn't develop at all, so I am keeping my fingers crossed the rest make it ok.

I am hatching on the 6th. I have a mixture of various breeds in there. I started with 37, but about 10 didn't develop at all, so I am keeping my fingers crossed the rest make it ok.

I have my first pip! These are bantam eggs so tend to hatch a bit early. They aren't due until Friday. These are really small, two of them. Then I have two a bit larger bantams. They are mixed breed and were sent to me by a friend so not sure what they are.
Yippee, it's a start!!!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

yipee on the first group pip!

I put my eggs on the top of the carton, should or could I move them now?

and it all says not to open the bator this three days, but my sponges dried out, and my humidity fell from 70's down to 40's, so I had to soak them again... I hope that is ok! the waiting is SO hard!!! I want to pick one up and listen for chirping!

I have my eggs large side up in the cups of the egg carton. The bottoms of the cups cut out for air circulation. This keeps the hatching chicks from knocking around the eggs that are yet to hatch. The chicks can become disoriented in the egg if they are knocked around too much.
If you are having trouble with your humidity, you should put a dish of in there under the wire that holds the chicks up and put some water in it. Not a deep dish, a shallow one. It is the surface of the water that matters, not the depth. The sponges just don't stay wet long enough. If you are opening your bator at all it can mess up your whole hatch.
Do you have an air hole you can stick a piece of aquarium tubing into and then put a small funnel or use a small squeeze bottle to add water that way? That is how I do it so I don't have to open the bator.
Gina
smile.png

There are air holes but the sponges have to be in odd places on the sides so as not to be ON an egg....
I'll try getting something to squirt..

there are these little holders in the bottom for water, and they are totally full... and they evaporate fast too...
I fill them a lot, like every other day.

obviously my incubator is different than others...
I wonder why?

Oh, and I don't open the whole bator, I pull out one of the clear plastic panels on the top that you can look thru and reach in thru there... I don't notice any drop in temp when I do that...

Back
Top Bottom