Anybody have a recommendation for a high powered slingshot for elk control?

The thing with wild prey animals is they often travel before daylight and after dark (besides during the day.) They go walking or running thru an electric fence in the dark, it is only the first one that gets zapped.

I use the poly rope wire which is more easily seen. If they get zapped by it I'm sure they will stay away because when they see it they will know it will hurt them (not seriously but they will know it).

Attachments

• PolyRopeWire.png
    PolyRopeWire.png
    392.3 KB · Views: 4
The thing with wild prey animals is they often travel before daylight and after dark (besides during the day.) They go walking or running thru an electric fence in the dark, it is only the first one that gets zapped.

Indeed, I have seen where deer get caught in or knock down a single hot wire... and adding some flagging / ribbons helps with that...

and sometimes you do have to go set things back up for the first few nights, but they learn what it’s about very quickly

but that multi-wire setup has proven to successfully keep deer out because they most often approach with caution and the front low wire persuades them to hop in and get zapped in a more controlled manner.

It’s not a new idea and is used to protect a lot of gardens and food plots crops ... and it is what is recommended by our state wildlife agency for minimizing deer damage.

it’s just something to be aware of, for anyone that might be considering an e-fence setup

Like I mentioned, welded wire fencing with wooden posts will NOT be taken out by deer. Very easy with insulators to add hot wires. My fence I put in this summer. 2 acres for the dogs to run and play. Coops are in the fenced in area also. Haven't added to hot wire yet, but plan on 1 low wire inside (keep muts from digging) and outside and 1 upper wire.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_191740196.jpg
    IMG_20200830_191740196.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread said deer and elk. Post №6. Elk and deer are in the same family.
Original post is about elk.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gh-powered-slingshot-for-elk-control.1436338/

What someone else introduced about deer is irrelevant. There is a massive size difference between elk and deer. Solutions for dealing with deer are for the most part irrelevant when dealing with elk. I have seen the remnants of a fence such as you describe after a herd of elk went through it.

They'll just hop right over it.
Original post is about elk.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gh-powered-slingshot-for-elk-control.1436338/

What someone else introduced about deer is irrelevant. There is a massive size difference between elk and deer. Solutions for dealing with deer are for the most part irrelevant when dealing with elk. I have seen the remnants of a fence such as you describe after a herd of elk went through it.

Spin it anyway you want.

Back
Top Bottom