Anybody have any experience with adoption and/or children being a little behind? Share your stories

EmtheFishLady

We're all mad here
11 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Glen, MS
We adopted a 7 month old baby boy in 2014. He is now 2, and still is not talking much. He's starting speech therapy on Monday, but I was wondering, are there any other parents out there that have experience with this? I'd love to chat with you if so. Our son had sort of a rough start in life, and I equate his being behind to that. I never realized just how important that first year of life is, but it is super important! He had a few behavioral problems and issues too, but I think we have mostly worked through that. I was basically looking for your stories, experiences, etc. So any support, suggestions, stories, etc are welcome! I'll link to Connor's story below.

http://mississippifarmboy.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/throw-away-boy/

Last edited:
Em, I can't help you at all with Connor's issues, but I just read his story and I'm bawling like a baby! Bless you two for taking this baby in and making him yours. The comments of birth mother saying he made her skin crawl are so, so disturbing. I'm thankful she picked you all to leave him with, I'm sure other much worse thoughts went through her poor brain during his brief time with her. Praying you get a good therapist, and a year from now you're wishing he would just shut up for a minute
gig.gif

Em, thank you for sharing Connor's story. May God bless that little boy, and his adopted family as well. May God touch him, and heal all of the hurts he experienced at the hands of his birth mother. I also pray that God will touch his birth mother, and heal her. She's certainly in need of His touch in her life!

He's been doing much better behavior wise.We are blessed enough to get to spend our days together, so he's making leaps and bounds in that regard. Speech is slow, but we have been making some progress. I mostly want him in therapy so we can be sure he gets caught up before he starts school.
He plays the "Momma, momma, momma" game already, and drives me up the wall!
gig.gif

I rarely think about how we got him, because he's just my son. I always say "God saw a baby who needed a mommy, and a mommy who needed a baby."

Em, thank you for sharing Connor's story. May God bless that little boy, and his adopted family as well. May God touch him, and heal all of the hurts he experienced at the hands of his birth mother. I also pray that God will touch his birth mother, and heal her. She's certainly in need of His touch in her life!

Other than the way she was by Connor, she seemed like a perfectly normal girl. A week or so after she gave him to me, she posted a long post on her facebook saying how she had to give up her baby, was devastated, would never be the same, etc. Except, she wasn't talking about Connor. She was talking about her dog.
hmm.png

Honestly, I'm just thankful she gave him to us. He's a blessing. There's nothing greater than the blessing of a baby.

Last edited:
So the speech therapist says he is a little behind, but I am doing everything right, and she doesn't think he is going to need intervention if he keeps progressing like he is!!! That made me feel pretty good. She said he seemed to actually be ahead intelligence wise, and she thinks he's just stubborn, which is pretty much what I have been saying all along. It was really reassuring to hear it from a professional though.

Always nice to be validated, isn't it? Even experienced mommas second guess themselves, and it's good to have professional back up.

It definitely is! Mostly because I have no experience with a child like Connor, so I'm sorta winging it. Was nice to hear that I'm not doing so bad.

Back
Top Bottom