Anybody have any ideas for chicken entertainment?

Shelties are a natural herding instinct breed whether it's sheep or poultry doesn't matter as long as it's herding something! I had a Rottweilter which are instinctively cattle herders and he loved herding ME!

wow lulu does the same thing with me and my siblings

I had half a jar of Queso Dip in the fridge that had been there a while and I figured that it needed to go away, so I let the girls have it. Dumped most of it out on some weeds that I had pulled out into their tractor, and left the jar upside down to let most of it run out. Came back a little later to see one of my white hens with her head buried into the jar trying to get the rest of the queso. Got dip all over her neck feathers.

A handful of scratch, meal worms, or sunflower seeds thrown into their run gets them in there very quickly! Just shut the door behind them
big_smile.png

No need to call our girls for lockup. They know there are treats close to roost time so they purposely hang out in front of the coop door milling around waiting for goodies. After our routine bonding and hand-treats time they willingly go inside for the night!

Oh, mine also go in on their own at dusk without treats. I just do the treat thing when I want them to go in earlier if I need to go somewhere and they need to be put away before dusk.
smile.png

I set up my run to surround a cluster of root balls from fallen trees and it's like a jungle gym for my flock; they LOVE it. The stumps and roots are now sitting horizontal and provide lots of vertical levels for them to climb/roost. They can scratch it up and love to take their dust baths in the cavernous underside. Some of the plants have been able to survive because their roots are just out of reach from both above and below. They find lots of goodies to eat in it too.

All hail, Helena Antonia; Queen of the Root Ball....this time.

You'll notice a stealthy hiding spot for Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (not their actual names) in the corner...poking their little heads out.

One of the prime dust bathing spots.

Olive Oyl ducking under one of the log roosts.

Last edited:
I set up my run to surround a cluster of root balls from fallen trees and it's like a jungle gym for my flock; they LOVE it. The trunks are now sitting horizontal and provide lots of vertical levels for them to climb/roost. They can scratch it up and love to take their dust baths in the cavernous underside. Some of the plants have been able to survive because their roots are just out of reach from both above and below. They find lots of goodies to eat in it too.

All hail, Helena Antonia; Queen of the Root Ball....this time.

You'll notice a stealthy hiding spot for Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (not their actual names) in the corner...poking their little heads out.

One of the prime dust bathing spots.

Olive Oyl ducking under one of the log roosts.

Chickens love au natural settings like plants, wood, and wet soil. Your photos are lovely!

Chickens love au natural settings like plants, wood, and wet soil. Your photos are lovely!

Thank you! Chickens make such wonderful subjects. They do get to free range most of the time but this certainly keeps them entertained when they're stuck in the run. Even when the gate is open and they have the whole yard, they still return to the root ball for the dust baths and afternoon naps/sunning sessions. Now I'm thinking I should hide some treats in the nooks and crannies...at least during the winter to cut down on boredom.

Back
Top Bottom