Anybody have dumbo rats?

Thanks Bettacreek. I Am not sure if they are gonna be considered dumbo's. There ears do seem to be a little larger then the smaller rats. They seem to weigh about 12 to 14oz , if not a pound already. They are 1 year old and have not been socialized very much. I held both of them last night and the did not bit or even think about it. They were more worried about getting away from me. So I am hoping with a little time they will come around. One is a Brindle color and one is brown and white. They are cute little things. I will try and get picks today.

One thing to be sure of in your situation is always wash your hands BEFORE you handle them to get rid of any food smell you may have and this will mean there never make the mistake of biting you cos they think you are edible. Always wash your hands after too of course.

Oh, lordy, I thought you meant Dumbo as in STUPID!!!!!!
I guess that makes me the DUMBO!
lol.png

Dumbos are dumbos if they have the goofy looking ears. Size really doesn't matter. You can even have dwarf dumbos. The only time that size comes into play with rats is in feeder rats or with the dwarves, and, of course when dosing medication, lol. Other than dwarf vs. standard, there are no size requirements really. If showing, then they do have a size standard, but it's just like having a small chihuahua or a large dane. The dumbos are said to have different skull structure, supposed to have wider skulls, but body size isn't an issue. I've seen plenty of really scrawny dumbo girls out there, and on the opposite end, I've seen some absolutely massive standard ears (I swear, our petco once had some that had to of been 2lbs).

Reading back, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying... Are you saying the ears are larger, or the rats in general? Lol. If you post some pictures, I can tell you if they're dumbos or not. It's a recessive trait, nothing "in between", and fairly obvious once you realise that you're looking at.
smile.png
Some do have almost curly ears, but they are always at the side of their heads.

they are not that messy! I have them as pets and they are super sweet. you can litter train them and then they will rarely pee one you. If you clean them and care for them there is NO smell at all, nothing. you should get them after doing your research they are great pets!

they are not that messy! I have them as pets and they are super sweet. you can litter train them and then they will rarely pee one you. If you clean them and care for them there is NO smell at all, nothing. you should get them after doing your research they are great pets!

You might want to check the age of the thread. The original posters have long since abandoned it, since the last post (other than Pioneergirl's) was from February 2009. Over five years ago.

Back
Top Bottom