Anybody here sell at Farmer's Markets?

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
Any tips? This spring will be my first year there. Already have stuff setup for planting in march
smile.png
I really wish I had a greenhouse to help me jumpstart things though! Tips, advice, funny stories, etc would be appreciated!

Make yur own green house!
Find some free windows on CL and frame them in..etc..
Get to work, buddy!
big_smile.png

Red, you know we had our first set of snow today? I am trying to build a new tool/feed shed first.. The weather isn't cooperating
somad.gif

Quote:
My mom is the Farmer's market manager for the one in our town...... she raises ten acres of vegetables with the help of one giant high tunnel and two greenhouses. We start everything by seed and we sometimes start our tomatoes and peppers as early as march in the house under a light this way we don't have to heat the greenhouses as long.

We start our field process in late March to early April and all the plants are in the ground by late May. Our farm is in Pennsylvania but with the help of the high tunnels we can pretty much grown almost anything cause a high tunnel is a climate controled tunnel that is very niffty
big_smile.png

Mom starts the farmer's market in the middle of June and we start out with Spinach, peas lettuce (any kind of cold crop vegetable). Before I went to college and started my own life I was in charge of 1500ft. of cucumbers. Each one of our rows is 500ft. which equals to rows of slicing cucs and two rows of pickling cucs........yes I did it by myself.....

IM me and let me know if you'd like more in detail....... I seen this post and wanted to comment on it before I head to my late class.....

Yeah, does anyone sell their eggs in farmers market? Kind of curious what they go for in farmers market. Don't think I would sell them here in farmers market. They go too cheap from I.dependent sellers and wouldn't do so well in the market.

I can tell you that I went to my local Farmer's Market over the summer and darn near bought everything in sight due to the SAMPLES they offered. One lady had canned goods that she canned herself, and I sampled hot pepper jelly on crackers.... bought it. Sampled bread sticks dipped into her homemade pasta sauce.... bought it. Sampled chunks of melons.... bought them. So I would highly suggest offering samples. Also, they were very interactive. While some of them stood there doing nothing, other tables would jump right in and give me suggestions for what to do with the baby russet potatoes, etc.... bought those too.

Becky89 I just love this quote: This is Ford Country, on a quiet night you can hear a chevy rust"
Sorry to get off topic, but I am a die hard Ford truck woman!
Ok, back to topic...the man I buy hay from sells at the farmers market, and I know he told me that he can't hardly sell a white egg! He said "They are all free range, country eggs even if they are white, but people want brown eggs!" So that is what he sells along with canned goods and vegetables.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom