anybody know how to cook squirrels?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickenlover237, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard my papa talking about how this time of year they would go out in the woods in their backyard and shoot squirrels and then roast them and eat them and my dad does often shoot squirrels but he just usually threw them out and let the wild cats/dogs or whatever got to them first eat them so anybody got any ideas on how someone would cook or prepare to cook a squirrel? He just was talking about it and he said that they were pretty good so I thought it would be something I would want to try, besides my dad is teaching me how to shoot his BB-gun so I will be shooting squirrels soon myself.

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    we stewed them and served them with dumplings

3. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    Chicken fried if they're young and tender. Older squirrels I like to braise in white wine with mushrooms and green onions. Brown them a bit first with a touch of a flour dredge, and they thicken their own gravy. It's very good. We didn't get any squirrels this year though. [​IMG]

4. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Skin and quarter tree rat. Boil until tender. Roll in flour mixture that is seasoned with salt and pepper or whatever other seasoning you like. Fry until browned.
    Enjoy. You can also make a gravy with the grease.

Darin

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    There's lots of squirrel recipes at this link: http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

We
    mainly used it like chicken, usually in stews and casseroles. When you get into camp from hunting and are soo hungry, seasoned and grilled over the fire sure hits the spot.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It's been a long time but, if I remember correctly, we'd skin and soak them in a brine first. Then my mother either stewed or pan fried them depending on the animals age. I loved them, especially fried, by my DW refuses to allow them into the kitchen so we just feed them at the feeder. My favorite story about squirrels came from my brother when he first moved to NC. As a kid he always picked up hickory nuts so when he was on the golf course that fall and saw all the nuts he went crazy stuffing them in his golf bag. His playing partner asked what he was doing. When my brother told him he was told that down there they never bother cracking the nuts but let the squirrel eat the nuts, shot the squirrels and ate them that way.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Hubby always pressure cook ours, then roll in flour and fry. Make gravy from the pot drippings and serve with biscuits!! Young tender squirrels take less time to pressure cook than an older one. Nothing better than squirrel, biscuits and gravy acouple times in the Fall.

8. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:That's the right way. COAT them in pepper. You eat them like chicken wings [​IMG]

9. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:What he said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by