anybody know how to cook squirrels?

chickenlover237

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
In alagaesia riding a dragon!
I heard my papa talking about how this time of year they would go out in the woods in their backyard and shoot squirrels and then roast them and eat them and my dad does often shoot squirrels but he just usually threw them out and let the wild cats/dogs or whatever got to them first eat them so anybody got any ideas on how someone would cook or prepare to cook a squirrel? He just was talking about it and he said that they were pretty good so I thought it would be something I would want to try, besides my dad is teaching me how to shoot his BB-gun so I will be shooting squirrels soon myself.

Chicken fried if they're young and tender. Older squirrels I like to braise in white wine with mushrooms and green onions. Brown them a bit first with a touch of a flour dredge, and they thicken their own gravy. It's very good. We didn't get any squirrels this year though.
sad.png

Skin and quarter tree rat. Boil until tender. Roll in flour mixture that is seasoned with salt and pepper or whatever other seasoning you like. Fry until browned.
Enjoy. You can also make a gravy with the grease.

Darin

It's been a long time but, if I remember correctly, we'd skin and soak them in a brine first. Then my mother either stewed or pan fried them depending on the animals age. I loved them, especially fried, by my DW refuses to allow them into the kitchen so we just feed them at the feeder. My favorite story about squirrels came from my brother when he first moved to NC. As a kid he always picked up hickory nuts so when he was on the golf course that fall and saw all the nuts he went crazy stuffing them in his golf bag. His playing partner asked what he was doing. When my brother told him he was told that down there they never bother cracking the nuts but let the squirrel eat the nuts, shot the squirrels and ate them that way.

Hubby always pressure cook ours, then roll in flour and fry. Make gravy from the pot drippings and serve with biscuits!! Young tender squirrels take less time to pressure cook than an older one. Nothing better than squirrel, biscuits and gravy acouple times in the Fall.

Back
Top Bottom