anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Quote:
check out Kussaudra's post # 188 on this thread. She uses burlap bags and a different method. I do a no rinse method on my sprouting oats because the oats were all turning sour and not sprouting. Rinsing did not work for me. Good luck!
ginny

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
That seems right. Also, I like to remind people that just because a particular grain that you try sprouting, may not sprout the way you want, does not mean that the grain is not good chicken feed.

Hey thanks everyone for helping me out with the spelt thing. I did feed the spelt to the chickens the way it was... I figured if I feed them vinegar (basically water from fermented grain, etc) that I could feed them the spelt. I felt that it had not fermented to the point of being moldy or dangerous.
smile.png

I did read the post about the burlap sacks and will be trying that method out in my garage as soon as the temps warm up up here.

I also did catch the thing about steaming the oats. I really like that it seems to double the amount of oats you have.

Delmar, I will try to soak for a shorter period of time and if that does not work I think I will attempt the steaming method for the remainder of the spelt
smile.png

Thanks all!

I have been sprouting for a while for my chickens. They love it. I have a sick dog. She has lost a tremendous amount of weight and is skin and bones. She is not retaining protein. We did a needle bx which is inconclusive. Vet wants to do an open bx ( a mass seen on xray and ultrasound) but too dangerous. She said Sissy wouldn't heal. She may have stomach cancer.
sad.png
I've been feeding her meat,brown rice,eggs,veggies. But the other day gave her a bit of sprouts and she ate it ! Didn't think of the protein richness till I read some of this thread. I've started some more sprouts,hoping this will help her. Pray it does ! Here is a pic of her when she was a pup. She is 11 now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51310_sissy1.jpg[/

Last edited:
Quote:
Are you doing the Kefir culturing? If not, check out the PROBIOTICS thread and come on over to the Kefir Krazies club! It's Wonderful!

What is the Kefir Krazies club and how can i get involved?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom