anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I start giving chicks sprouts and wheat grass when they're about a week old. I just chop it up finely, don't give very much and offer sand or chick sized grit in small amounts. I make sure they've settled in and recovered from shipping for a few days, first. I also only give small amounts.

For older chicks, they can have a little more and a little bit larger pieces. When in doubt, lesser amounts and smaller pieces is the way to go. Full sized chickens can handle it with no problem, just offer grit.

Watching a broody mom w/ her chicks was very freeing for me, my chicks are brooded on dirt/sand so have grit from day one, I offer sprouts and bugs and other healthy treats (chopped fruit, eggs, greens, fermented grains) from the first week. I usually dig up a piece of sod and put in there to for them to get grass between there toes.

are there any seeds that should not be sprouted and fed to the chickens??? I have tons of seeds left over from my garden that i am not gonna use. Wondered if i could use all of them or if any were unsafe

I think, probably, the only ones not good for use would be gourd vines, tomato seedlings, and potato vines. The first one is probably poisonous, I'm assuming, because gourds are poisonous. Tomato and Potato are from the nightshade (?) family. The fruit of tomato is good as well as the potato (if cooked).

We are new in the chicken raising business, but we have grown fast. I have 23 laying hens, 27 chicks around 12-weeks and 8 2-week old chicks and some eggs in the incubator. I am very interested in feeding sprouts/fodder and fermented feed. The issue is our location. Our farm is located in South Carolina and though it is the home state of Clemson University (agricultural college) the resources for farmers, especially if you want to grow naturally, is very limited. Because of our location (which is in the middle of farming area) we have to drive 3 hours either way to get to any kind of REAL feed store. We cannot locate soy free feed for our ladies and gentleman so I am not sure what is available regarding grains for sprouting. Anyone from the south central (south of Columbia) with a good resource for these? I have searched high and low on the web and find nothing. Those who I do find, none have a website.....in this day an age...WHAT!
duc.gif

Last edited:
I just set some seed to soak, thank ya'll for the inspiration! I'm trying to decide if there is less waste with sprouted seed than with microgreens in soil trays because my girls just scratched the devil out of the greens and I'm not sure they will eat the majority or just scratch them around like grass clippings. They scratch at their whole grain/seed feed, but eat them after they've played with their food. I'll see which way has less waste. Kinda excited now!!

Back
Top Bottom