anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Starting a roach farm here soon for the kids...check out TheRoachGuy online if you want to undertake the endeavor... Great idea on the wheatgrass...think I'll add it to the sunflower sprouting...and they do prefer the fermented pellets!! I have happy, happy birds!!

If there's anyone out there sprouting and finding trouble with the grains growing mold, there's a trick I've learned while germinating garden seeds: use chamomile tea instead of plain water! Some seeds need to be presoaked for weeks and I've never had unwanted growth. Keep in mind, i use the good stuff and brew the tea overnight! Loose leaf, organic chamomile. The bagged crap in the stores won't cut it.

If there's anyone out there sprouting and finding trouble with the grains growing mold, there's a trick I've learned while germinating garden seeds: use chamomile tea instead of plain water! Some seeds need to be presoaked for weeks and I've never had unwanted growth. Keep in mind, i use the good stuff and brew the tea overnight! Loose leaf, organic chamomile. The bagged crap in the stores won't cut it.

Thanks for the tip. I quit sprouting because our flock is now so large and when trying to sprout such large amounts I either got nothing at all, or it got moldy. Might try it again.

I built a new sprouter. Started 1 tray each of pinto bean sprouts, wild bird seed sprouts, and some alfalfa.

I'm a little let down with their enthusiasm over it.

It's getting too cold outside now, maybe they'll like it after a winter without.

I've read that kidney beans are toxic unless cooked. I'd be suspicious of any other beans in that family, and choose not to sprout them for the birds, or for that matter, for human consumption.

Don't forget to cut out, clean, and sprout those pumpkin seeds! Keep in mind, you'll want to avoid commercial (even local) pumpkins if your chickens are raised organically

Back
Top Bottom