Anybody willing to share their TOMATO SOUP recipe?

I don't remember where I got it, but the recipe below turned out famulous. I canned a large batch of it when Roma tomatoes were 33c per pound. If you are canning it, remember, you do not add the cream prior to canning. You'll add it later when you open the jars to eat.

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
Recipe By: Katie
12 tomatoes -- *see Note
2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large onion -- quartered
2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
olive oil
2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft.

*Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

This sounds delightful. It is on my list!

Classic Tomato Soup
by Perla Meyers
read reviews (23)

Silky tomato soup is like the little black dress of soups. Unadorned and paired with a grilled cheese sandwich, it’s a comforting lunch. Dressed up with simple garnishes, it makes a sophisticated start to a dinner party.

Use the Creamy Vegetable Soups Recipe Maker to create your own classic soup, or fill your interactive bowl with all your favorite ingredients for a twist on a classic soup.

Serves 8
Yields about 8 cups.
To learn more, read the article:
The Best Tomato Soups

Get a quick and delicious recipe every day with our
FREE Make it Tonight newsletter

thyme
dill
chives
more
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
28-oz. can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)
1-1/2 tsp. sugar
1 sprig fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh basil, chives, or dill, or a mixture of all three (omit if using one of the garnishes below)
Tip: Be sure to purée in small batches and crack the blender lid slightly (or remove the center cap from the lid). Steam can build up once you start blending, and if the lid is on tight or the blender is overfilled, it will spray hot soup all over you and your kitchen. For protection, cover the top with a dishtowel while puréeing.
In a nonreactive 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.

Add the broth, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring the mixture to make sure that the flour is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.

Discard the thyme sprig. Let cool briefly and then purée in two or three batches in a blender or food processor. Rinse the pot and return the soup to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary. Serve warm but not hot, garnished with the herbs or dolloped with one of the garnishes below.

Here is the best creamy tomato soup recipe I've ever come across. Honestly I could eat a whole pot of this stuff by myself!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or half as much table salt)
Freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons white rice
1 28-ounce can concentrated crushed tomatoes
1 1-quart box chicken broth
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
Sour cream, dill, and buttered toast for garnish

Preperation
In a soup pot over medium-low heat, heat the butter and oil, then sauté the onion and salt gently until tender and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add pepper to taste, along with the rice, tomatoes, broth, and sugar, then bring to a boil, covered over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat, add the cream or evaporated milk, and use a stick blender to blend the soup completely smooth (alternately, puree it in batches in a blender, using extreme caution).
Stir the dill into the soup and simmer very gently, covered, for 10 more minutes. Taste the finished soup for salt and sugar, and add more if needed.
Cut buttered toast into small cubes for garnish, then serve the soup, garnishing each bowl with a dollop of sour cream, a sprig of deal, and a handful of croutons.

Wow danideer, that really makes my mouth water! I haven't tried any of these recipes yet, but when I do this will be the first. Any soup I make with heavy cream is usually tasty!

Back
Top Bottom