Anyone an expert at chick identification?

MinerQuad

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Ok. I ran out to the garage and snapped a couple of pics. These little ones are starting to get a little more distinguishable. The white chick is very tall and lanky, definitely not a bantam and dare I say.... UGLY!
big_smile.png
I keep calling him a he, although I truly have no clue. You can see skin at the "elbows". He's also very feisty and flapped his wings at me, attacked and jumped around. He seems aggressive and a bit protective of the other two chicks. The brown chick has beautiful pheasanty feathers and she's mid size. Not really sure if she's a banty. The buff or golden chick is teeny, but her/his tail feathers stick straight up....very weird.

Here are the pics, again any help is appreciated!

56161_20110909-img_4434.jpg

56161_20110909-img_4428.jpg

56161_20110909-img_4426.jpg

56161_20110909-img_4421.jpg

56161_20110909-img_4419.jpg

56161_20110909-img_4418.jpg

56161_20110909-img_4416.jpg

Thanks!

I can positively say that those are absolutely chicks.

lau.gif

I know I know you all probably want to
smack.gif
me right now but
idunno.gif
they are so young yet.

it would help alot if you could tell us of the breeds the eggs came from ,or what mixed hens where running together and what roos it would help alot any thing like that eve just 1 breed would help

@citychx - HA HA Ur too funny! Yes they are only 3 weeks old.

@miniappleyard - I truly have no idea where they came from.

@pbjmaker - No on the feathered legs .

Thanks for looking though.

The last, muscled looking chick is definitely a boy, girls don't come in that color, and is likely some kind of Oriental Game or Game cross. Very nice looking so far.

The first one, too young to sex.

OMG they are soooo cute - mama Bonnie must be so happy!! I'd love to see more pics of the babies WITH her :eek:) I love mama hen photos. I can see her head in that one shot...

I remember you saying they were all bantams when you gave her the eggs, but they look like they could be LF except that little buff one. Maybe she's a Buff Japanese.

EDIT: Oops, was it Betty or Bonnie who hatched the chicks? I thought you said Bonnie in your first post, but then you said Betty in another. Ah, doesn't matter ... CUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!

Last edited:
Well these little chicks look nothing like they did when they were babies! We've discovered the white one, who is now black and red, is a Malay. The little bantam is a buff Japanese and the partridge colored chick... I have no idea. It has a strange call. Sounds more like a wild bird.

I will try to post pics later today.

Back
Top Bottom