1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone been to Spain?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TammyTX, Oct 9, 2011.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I want to go to the Rioja region, I think that's where my husbands family originates from.

Hate it? Love it? Recommended areas? I especially want the rustic tour...no so much Barcelona...although it looks interesting.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have not been in that area, but I lived outside Cadiz many decades ago for several months and visited the Madrid/Toledo area a couple of years back. Like any place you go, the people you meet will color your impressions, so there is some luck involved in who you happen to meet. But if you go in with the attitude that they are people with their own traditions and way of life, and treat them with respect instead of being the Ugly American, you should do pretty well.

Of all the places I lived overseas, Spain was at the top of the list. The cost of living is really reasonable as long as you don't stick to the tourist areas. The food and drink are great. I found the people really helpful and friendly. You don't have to speak Spanish to get around, English works fine, but it never hurts to try a few phrases in Spanish. Unlike the French, they are usually at least willing to try to understand poorly spoken Spanish.

The country is really rich in history and culture. They have some great art museums and such as that. Plenty of old castles and cities. Try to read up on some of the history of where you are going so you can better appreciate what you are seeing. Some of that stuff is close to unbelievable.

Just go to have fun. You should have plenty.

3. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks!

We haven't been to a lot of places, but we try to experience real culture, even if it's here in the states; not always touristy stuff.

La Rioja is the wine making area....we don't drink wine, but might start so we'll learn about it.

Hey! If I give my husband enough wine....maybe he'll agree to go...? [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My fathers side is from Spain also (and England)...
    I sooo want to visit those 2 places before i croak...

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I ain't ever been to Spain
    But I kinda like the music...

6. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    ...maybe I'll be an insane lady there...?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I was born there, but don't remember anything about it.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I've been to the Canary Islands, which I think belong to Spain, don't they? [​IMG] They were cool. Good for the winter, water is so blue there [​IMG]

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    It's very pretty with rich culture. A lot of that culture shows up in the local food! There are always events to go watch and monuments to look at.

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I was raised in Spain, small town(at that time) in the province of Valencia. My whole family on my mothers side is spanish and are all still there spread out throughout Spain.

When I was about 7ish I went to Rioja with my aunt and grandmother. It was breathtaking. Spain is beautiful, but northern spain is quite breathtaking. The trip to Rioja was a business trip for my aunt who owned a winery in Avignon france and was looking at buying a new winery within her own country. Anyhow I remember a lot of grapes and sheep,that is for sure. At that time the municipalities were small, more like villages but that has changed they are much bigger now, but still very beautiful. Depending on where in Rioja you go you will see different things, the culture though is very rich, people are welcoming. Rioja is divided into 2 parts upper and lower Rioja, each with their own smaller towns and

Rioja will take your breath away, a lot of the buildings have a very historical feel, my favorite memory was stopping in San millan and visiting the monestary, (monesterio De Suso) it was so beautiful there and so peaceful. I remember sitting out in the gardens and falling asleep during lunch picnic. there a second monestary in san millan, much bigger (Yuso) but we never went there.

Anyhow, Where ever you end up in Rioja, you will not be disappointed. the food is great by the way. Rioja is very mediterrenean, I grew up right on the mediterrenean sea. Seafood is phenomenal, Paella is delicious, tapas are to die for. Sangria is fantastic.

Anyhow I could go on forever, I was born in canada but raised in Spain, I miss it terribly, and the way of life, though the last year the economy had been the worst hit in the world(no word of a lie) its still very tourist friendly and welcoming. here is a link to the monestary in San millan I just found:

http://www.monasteriodeyuso.org/suso/localizacion.html

about Rioja though it is very limited info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rioja_(Spain)

Ema

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by