Anyone believe in those 'signs' or omens?

ThePolishPrincess

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Orange County, New York
First off...I'm not looking to invite trouble here. I'm curious to see what others think. I don't want to hear any debating, as I know some topics can get heated. I'd just like to hear if anyone is of the same mind.

I'm not a religious person. I never really have been. I'm in high school and was raised really 'chill' to believe what I want but to be respectful about it. I never open up my values and beliefs to others. This post is really the closest thing.

I'm not really sure what I am. But I do know that I had an interesting thing happen today. Firstly, one of my roosters had been ill a few days ago. I didn't know what was the matter, but when I gave him electrolytes in his water he perked up a little. I told my parents and they thought I was being silly. They saw nothing wrong with him. I stopped trying to explain myself and watched him silently for days. He was not himself.

Today, we had been running around doing errands all day. I kept seeing crows. I know that they might accumulate in one area at a time for whatever reason, but I've never seen them in all places I went. I don't believe in much, but crows have always given me some chill. Brushing it off, I carried on with my day. They're just birds, so what, right?

When I went outside to lock up the animals, I thought again about the crows as I walked to the coop. When I opened the coop door and saw my rooster was not roosting with his hen, I automatically looked on the ground and found him.
sad.png
His body was intact, almost like he just dropped. Although I had a small moment of 'I-told-you-so' to my parents, who suddenly seemed to grasp the notion that I don't need to be a vet to diagnose my animals as 'ill' I'm still feeling a little weird. I had pointed out the crows to my mom as we saw them today. She's pretty spiritual, so we toyed around with the idea of 'magic' for a minute-because to many, crows are omens of bad things and death. I knew my rooster was going to drop dead-obviously something was wrong. But I wonder if there are things out there that can seal fate, or show that things are coming?

Ideas? Contribution? Helpful things, please. And mods, I'm sorry if this is not an appropriate thread. It's not my intent to cause any issues.

I think that a lot of things that people believe to be signs are no more than coincidences.

Sure, there could be some supernatural stuff going on; I haven't ever ruled that sort of thing out personally, but I think that a lot of the stuff that people take to be "a sign" is actually looking too hard for something that's not really there. Case in point: the Mary Mother of Jesus on a piece of toast or whatever it was. Somehow, I doubt that the God of the Universe, Creator of Worlds, was looking to manifest himself on earth in a bag of Wonderbread.

To each his own, though.

I know exactly what you mean- I can sense something bad before it happens-especially with my animals- I can look at one of my goats not acting right and tell you-"Yep-she'll be dead tonight-or yep-she'll be dead in 2 days" and 9 times out of 10 I am right-
Last week we had an albino- solid snow white blue eyed little buckling born which is VERY rare- i feel like that is an omen- I told my husband if anything happens to that lil guy- Our kidding season might as well be over before it starts- it is something I feel inside. It may be just me , but something tells me to make sure this one makes it. So I know what you mean!!!

This isn't religious. Spiritual, yes, but spirituality and religion are as far asunder as the top of a mountain and the bottom of the sea.

I'm not religious either. I'm also in highschool, but was raised in the bible belt. I'm agnostic - I take no side, but leave it all open. Anything can happen, until I can prove or disprove it.

I can tell you I believe in the 6th sense. When I was really small, I had a dream. It was just a house. And later on, at a funeral, I saw that house - exactly, down to every detail, as it was in my dream. I've had dreams of my chickens dying that came true. Those were prophetic, but I believe the human mind has the power to do many things we can't prove right now.

I'm scientific in nature, and I believe that everything has the ability to be explained - not necessarily right now, but someday can be. You really have to test your boundaries, let things happen and decide for yourself.

I can look at a piece of paper, and say it's white. But the person standing next to me may say it is cream colored instead
smile.png

sorry to hear about your roo
sad.png

yes I believe in sign, gut feelings ect
In November we were supposed to go get a family pic. I didn't want to go no no NO NO to the point of foot stomping
rant.gif

we got loaded in to the truck and here came my 6 year old neighbor. their horse tried to jump the barbwire fence and was hung. she had slice open two legs every time she took a step blood spurted everywhere. It took me 20 minutes to get the bleeding stopped the vet arrived 45 min after we called and said that if I hadn't got it stopped she would have been very bad off. so I always listen to my gut

You were most likely using your intuition. The crows may have just been a reminder that you were concerned about your roo because you instinctively knew there was something wrong. It may have less to do with 'religion' and more to do with our nature as intuitive beings...

Intuition and instinct are very good tools for humans...

I do not see things like that as a sign. But my DW is totally in your camp, she is kinda superstitious. She is always tells me this or that is bad luck or a bad sign. I don't buy into it, but she does good for her LOL. If you saw the crows as as a sign, then maybe you are right.

I suppose some would call me religous and be that as it may. I am a believer in the Bible as the word of God. That said, I think you had a sense that your rooster was in trouble just as a doctor has a sense when something is wrong with a patient. Though not a "sense" really but the forsight from knowledge to recognize something is amiss. Rather like a talent a musician has to play a score.
As for the crows? Crows are just about the only birds easily seen in the winter around here and I don't know how things are where you are, it could have just been a coinsidence. This past fall I had to take Merlin to the vet, something told me it was serious, probably because I'm an animal lover and it was. I will miss him.
We who love animals are sensitive to animals. Chickens are fragile and not so easy to treat. Folks seem to forget that. It's not unlikely to see them fine in the morning and gone in the evening. It does break our hearts just the same.

That's what seperates us from others. I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Rancher

In my tradition, crows are sacred. They are definitely oracles. I wouldn't dare to kill a crow.
However I look at them a bit differently; death is just a passage, crows and other animals eat roadkill etc. They are the clean up crew. They all have their purpose! Do not fear the crow.

I agree with Noodleroo; always just trust your intuition. If you had this feeling when you saw the crows, and you haven't been watching too many movies (I tease) then it is for a reason. It is different for each person; they may signal something more negative to you than to me.

I do believe that there are things in this universe that we do not understand. I believe that animals can communicate in ways we, as humans, do not fathom. I believe they may attempt to communicate with us, at times, but that because of the differences between us and them, we are not able to understand the messages they are trying to relate. However, I don't believe that the mere sighting of any particular animal forebodes or predicts anything. Widespread unusual behavior from large numbers of animals? Perhaps...I'd be watching for natural disasters, at least.

That said, I also believe in a sixth sense, gut feeling, or whatever you want to call it. I have learned to LISTEN to it, too. When I've ignored it, I've learned to regret it. No more. If my spine tingles, or the hair on the back of my neck stands up, or I get any other sensation of that type (what is commonly called a sixth sense) then I'm outta there or taking steps to protect myself and those important to me.

As for dreams...again, I think there are things we do not understand. I've had some odd experiences with the dream world...

Back
Top Bottom