Anyone cook for their dog?

I used to cook for them but realised they were even healthier when I just fed them raw food. And it was soo much easier. Figured I'd never seen a wolf or coyote bbqing their food, or grazing in the barley fields either, and it's much more energy efficient not to cook so I just passed out the chunks of boney meat and let them have at it. There's a yahoo rawfeeding group that goes into rawfeeding in detail but my pups are fine for now (4 years into it).

We do the raw thing too!

Ground beef etc with veggies. We also do the blue buffolo feed as well. I havent been good about adding vitamins to our ground beef/frozen veggies mix... so we feed a bit of the dog food as well. They love the raw!!!!!

They are so healthy we wish we could eat it.

Haven't convinced the cats though. They won't touch the stuff. Stuck up cats.

There are certain things that i do, yes. Most of them were mentioned here already though...rices, oats, eggs, that sort of thing. I won't feed them raw chicken, just because he's smart, and i worry he'll make the connection between his bowl and his job (protection our flock...among other jobs)

I feed my dog raw too.
About 5 lbs of raw chicken (in the form of backs and necks) daily. I also feed him canned mackeral 2x weekly and cook brown rice for him that I mix w/ ground meat 2 x weekly. And feed him organ meat; liver, heart, kidney and other organs. And he gets plenty of raw eggs too.
So I guess, the short answer is, yes a little!
LOL
Oh, but my sister cooks Ramen (4) without (3) of the season packets and top dresses her dogs' kibble everyday

Last edited:
I'd be careful w/ramen, its got a high sugar content. Otherwise, I do what everyone has mentioned, raw and cooked. Kibble when I have to but its got to be corn free. I pressure cook salmon (some other fish if available) and separately cook pearl barley, brown or white rice and give fresh veggies, some fresh fruit. I do give raw chicken, mine are hunting dogs so I don't require they protect my birds except when the birds are inside their pens and the dog's are outside the pens-then their job is to alert me and keep other dogs and predators out of the yard. Feeding raw and cooked ensures helps the over all health of your dogs entire lifespan. Their teeth and bones will be in much better shape, including their coat, etc. Two of my dogs are hypothyroid, which I've read I could feed for that, also, but haven't so far and all but one allergic to corn.

Feeding raw and cooked helped a malnurished and mentally stressed pup that also had IBS become nearly normal, quickly. I just have to work on his submission urination problem now and I've relied on Rescue Remedy for his stress level. I may resort to a male diaper for awhile, too. Its not often anymore but every time I think he's gotten over it, it pops out again.

Before he came to me, he was caged in an airline kennel w/an unrelated 80# male as a pup and also in a medium sized airline crate w/his dam for long periods, all starved and wormy. The adult dogs tore into him, he's got long scars, especially one ear torn and healed besides the mental scars. As long as he gets the exercise and hunting or hunting exercises and the raw or cooked meals, he is a fairly normal dog with acouple quirks: submissive urination and I cannot trust him w/strangers as he is extra protective of me which we continue to work on, daily.

I don't give vitamins either, but have their blood levels checked every other year because I cannot vaccinate the hypothyroid dogs, with autoimmune health issues a vaccination could ensure death or a big backslide in their health. Berries are high in vit C and they love those, too.

Can I say that I cook for my dog if I'm feeding off my plate? I give him bits if almost everything I eat, except chicken. He has a reaction to chicken that gives him stomach upset and pancreatitis. One of his favorites is broccoli. He also has top quality dry dog food.

Our dogs eat what we eat along with a high quality kibble out at all times. During the dog food scare I just cooked extra portions and that's what they ate.

My vet says there is no such thing as people food and dog food...it's all just food. He says the dog food companies want you to think you have to give them dog food or they won't be healthy but that's just not true...he says dogs evolved eating what people ate and our nutritional needs are pretty much the same.

Last edited:
We have been feeding raw for quite a few years now...80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs...not much else. We try to rotate the meat species, be sure to include oily fish species, and get plenty of exercise...gotta love chasing those chicks!

Back
Top Bottom