Anyone doctored a chicken taken by a coyote?

Allanita

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Any treatment suggestions? Any encouraging stories to share? IMG_4871.JPG 0

I had a hen who was attacked by large dog. When I found her she had a huge chunk out of her back and the entire top part of her beak was gone. I brought her into the house, and after about a month of recovery, she was back with the flock, eating and drinking and acting like it had never happened. Her back had healed up until there was just a thin scar.
I used Vetericyn Poultry Wound Care Spray on my hen's wounds and it worked wonderfully, so I definitely recommend Vetericyn if she has any wounds.
Good luck with your hen!

I had a hen who was attacked by large dog. When I found her she had a huge chunk out of her back and the entire top part of her beak was gone. I brought her into the house, and after about a month of recovery, she was back with the flock, eating and drinking and acting like it had never happened. Her back had healed up until there was just a thin scar.
I used Vetericyn Poultry Wound Care Spray on my hen's wounds and it worked wonderfully, so I definitely recommend Vetericyn if she has any wounds.
Good luck with your hen!
Thank you. I will try that as soon as I can find some.

I've not personally doctored a chicken that was attacked but we did have a duck get attacked by a raccoon.
Every bone in its wing was broken and all that was left was about an inch of flesh that the wing was hanging down.
We had to cut the wing the rest of the way off because there was no saving it and every day we washed the wound with water and peroxide and put a super antibiotic from the farm store on it (online it says not to use it on a bird you plan to eat but obviously if you want to work so hard to save something you probably don't want to eat it anyway) but the only issue we ran into was maggots. I could not believe it got infested because we bandaged it really good to keep them out, but they still got in. Fortunately constantly washing it out with peroxide killed them and would wash them out. They also removed some of the dead tissue but if it gets bad enough I believe they can kill the bird.
This experience left me believing birds are REALLY resilient and with enough attention to keeping the wound clean and antibiotic on it they can recover!
Sorry for the crazy long post, but good luck!!!!

Good luck with your hen!
Thank you! Yes we will use Vetercyn.

I also recommend the Red-Kote from Dr. Naylor you can get it at any feed and grain store. Also give your flock oregano and cinnamon, they are natural antibiotics !!! Hoppy's wound was the size of a silver dollar and you could see/touch her spinal cord. Between the natural antibiotics and the Red and Blue Wound Kotes we almost have her completely healed, and she has even regained some use of her bad leg back !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom