Anyone else bringing in the girls?

onebuggirl

Songster
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
I have been worried about my barred rocks. The temperatures are so cold and it has been windy now all day. I saw the forcast and it is suppose to be -3 degrees F and the windchill makes it feel like 20-3- below zero. So I asked my Husband if I could put the girls in the basement. They were out in an eglu from omlet.com and I had 2 gallon jugs of hot water acting as hot water bottles. But overtnight that would not do.

Anyone else bringing in thier girls and am I being too cautious? We were putting petroleum jelly on thier waddles and combs if the temps were below zero.

My Little playhouse 4x4 coop for our 5 sex links. -30 windchill, -8 temp, 0 temp in the coop...no light, no heat, no coming inside our house. They NEED to be tough. I did notice a little frost on the wall next to the roost. Probably from their breathing. I cannot see it getting any colder here, these temps are for January!

Remember, the wind chill is for the effect on exposed flesh. Keep the birds out of that, and they should do just fine!

Last edited:
Do you have cold hardy chickens.
I try to pick out cold hardy and heat chicks so I don't have to worry about them when it's getting cold or very warm.
What ever makes you feel good about your chickens. just do it.
thumbsup.gif

It was about 10F, but not windy out here, with humdity as high as it can be while snowing last night. My 6 silkies slept in an unheated 4x4x5 coop, and of the 7 standards, only 3 went inside to sleep. The rest sat out on the roost in the secured "run."

If it's draft free, should be fine.

I have put three 250 watt white heat lamps in the nursery. I have put extra shavings down and turned the quartz heater to high watts. I pray my little ones make it through this night. It is suppose to be 5 degrees here tonight. My sick roo is in the nursery too. I put down a few loose bales of straw on the floors of the wire mesh stalls in the barn. I just do not know what else to do. I can not heat the barn, it would be impossible since it is just too big.

The seremas are in the little chicken house with a 100 watt ceramic heat coil and their door is closed up tight. I wish I could do more, I just can't. This is suppose to be the coldnest night so far.

tempted.. very very tempted.
I had a roo in my basement from December to March last year.
I am thinking of having the dh build something as ap for the girls. The cold winter being only one reason for a pushed up time schedule. I have to admit i am worried about how they will be out there.

It's -5 here with 40MPH winds and my girls (12 of them) are out in their insulated 8X8 coop with a heat lamp on the water but if I had them in an igloo like you do I would put them in our heated (with wood heat) shed where the bantams are. They all have 60 degree heat out there and are loving it
wink.png

My poor buff orpington roo died last night.........the girls all seem fine, I would have thought he would have been able to handle it more, but I guess not ;( ...... I have a 200 watt brooder lamp in there with them and have it insulated with hay and alfalfa all over the place! It has been so unusually cold around here........I hope they will be ok!

My chickens have been fine so far
fl.gif
Haven't checked the coop this morning. It is -7 here with a -20/30 wind chill. Almost all my chickens are banties and there is even one serama out there that I have been keeping a close eye on.

They have a 4 X 7 coop with no heat at all but it is partially insulated. They are overcrowded but I am wondering if that is what is keeping them warm?

I know of another Iowan who has lost several chickens this week but they are kept seperated by breed - not enough body heat to keep each other warm???

ETA: Just went and fed/watered the chickens - everyone was fine and itching to get out after staying in all day yesterday (they won't come out in the wind) In fact my show girl was pacing at the pop door.

Last edited:
I am not bringing them in but instead I am not letting them out into their run . They stayed inside the coop yesterday and they are going to do it again today. It is like -3 here right now. My mom went x-mas shopping yesterday at Wal-mart. When she got out of the store, she got in the car REAL QUICKLY. Lol

Back
Top Bottom