Anyone else experiencing a decrease in egg-laying?

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
Hi, all - I just got back from a 2-week vacation in MT and WY.

The wonderful neighbors who watched our 2 mature hens and 11 chicks reported that the hens laid only 3 eggs in the 2 weeks while we were gone.

I was noticing that the egg production had dropped from 1 or 2 per day to one or two every three days.

The hens are mature, probably about 4 years old (got them from my cousin earlier this year).

Is this normal? I was assuming the drop in laying was due to the heat lately, but it seems like they've shut off completely.

The heat stopped eggs here completely and i have about 15 layers. As soon as it cooled down it picked right up. I think it is normal.

Quote:
Well, i give mine yogurt....its cold and good for them and it really seemed to make mine feel better. I had one i almost lost to the heat. She did not do well.......but the yogurt made a huge difference. They like watermelon too. But i try to limit the fuit so i save it for the bad days when you know they need it. I hate to say it, but the summer is nearing its end and i think the birds will be welcoming FALL
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
We started noticing a decline in the egg laying a few months ago. I suspected a snake but never saw it. My husband saw it about a month ago and finally we got it. I put white easter eggs filled with sand in the nest box and it ate one. It slowed him down enough that we could dispose of it. A few days later we found a copperhead in the coop. I think the snake away we put around the coop actually attracted them. Not really, but it seems that way. It has been a back year here for snakes-- I've see 3 water mocassins, 2 copperheads, 1 chicken snake so far. The heat here is bad. Yesterday, it was 106.7 steamy degrees here. I have the mister on the chickens to help cool them off, they love it.

lurky wrote:
I hate to say it, but the summer is nearing its end and i think the birds will be welcoming FALL

The chickens are not the only ones. I am really looking forward to fall - I love fall & winter!
tongue.png

Yeah me too. I'll love it more this year. We re-built the gates to get into the coop. They are bigger now and we can get the snow blower in there
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom