Anyone else give their excess eggs away rather than cut down on hens?

Quote:
I like this...
thumbsup.gif
have you posted the recipe on how to make these?

For those of you that take umbrage at my statement that feeding back eggs is a waste. Chickens do not need to eat eggs, in fact, other than to nourish the chick, they don't require them. In addition, since eggs are such a good source of protein and other nutrients for humans, I think it is a waste to feed them back as a way to get rid of excess. (OK, the really dirty ones or those you find cracked in the nest can be fed but not all that can't be immediately used.) There are people out there that can use them. If you can't sell them or supply family and friends, at least take them to your church or local food bank. As I said earlier, a chicken goes through a lot to produce that egg, you should honor her effort by making sure it is put to good use.

I don't think anyone took offense, nor do I think the necessity of eggs in a chicken's diet was ever in question. Obviously they are fine without the addition. It just seems incongruous to me to feel guilty that a chicken went "through a lot to produce that egg", then consider it somehow insulting to the chicken to let her enjoy it as a treat. Donating the eggs is indeed a great thing to do but I think supplementing the chickens' diet is also an acceptable option. I suppose we can agree to disagree.
smile.png

Anyone who would like to come collect my tiny bantam eggs and donate them is welcome to do so. Perhaps they can also soothe my chickens...as I'm sure they're quite offended that I do not eat their eggs. They probably have meetings about it...I bet the showgirl cries.

Just saying, I don't think they care one way or another. And with my 3 bantam hens, giving them away seems like more trouble than its worth.
idunno.gif

1. We always get way more eggs than what we can use. Recently I started making breakfast burritoes. They can be frozen and eaten in times when the girls aren't laying so heavy.
2. How do you dry eggs??
3. How do you pickle eggs?? I thought of pickling some with hot peppers.

Quote:
What a waste. Your hens went through a lot to lay them and you toss them out. Lately I've been taking 6 to 8 dozen to the local food bank every week. They fight over who's going to get them.

I guess I'm incredibly wasteful then, because if I even collect the eggs..IF, I just feed them back to the chickens.
idunno.gif
I don't eat eggs generally.
hu.gif
In fact, I don't really care if my hens lay or not, I just like watching them. So, if they do go through all that work, they're the only ones who benefit from it. Wasteful to you, but my chickens love it.

I know 2 people that have chickens and never eat eggs. I don't understand the concept.

I realize the main reason I got chickens was for manure/compost but the thought of healthy eggs was the determining factor.

There really is no better source of protein and the taste is fantastic. I know I must have about 40 different ways to prepare them from egg flower soup to mayonaise to fritatas to quiche to deviled to poached to softboiled oh and then there's over easy.

I give mine away to people at work or family. I just donated a dozen a month (girls are slowing down) to our company online United Way Auction, and they brought about 60-70 bucks for the UW. Funny but I don't think anyone I ever gave any to bid on the auction ones.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom