Anyone else hatching 6/25? Chicks are here!

Question - I turned the eggs this morning (last day to turn), and I noticed some sticky stuff on one egg, like sap (very small amount on the large end). It does not smell at all. Can an egg be rotten and not smell bad?

Quote:
Hmmmm... don't know. I've enver had a "weeping" egg that was any good. Did you candle it?
I really don't know on that one.
idunno.gif

Maybe you should start a thread asking that question. I don't think as many people would see the question since it's on our hatching thread. If you start a new thread with that question, you'd probably get a better answer.
Let us know how it goes.

I thought about it, and did start another thread - thanks!

I candled it, and it looks no different than it has for a week. I would not think twice about it if there was ANY smell, but there is none. I wiped off the small amount, and there did not seem to be any more, but it makes me nervous with all the bad things you read about exploding eggs!

What is throwing me off is the lack of smell - I would think it would smell bad

You got me. I'm not even sure what to think of my own eggs! I'm too much of a newb. I hope you get it figured out kcardella, and that there's still a baby inside getting ready to hatch.

I just candled the egg again, and it still looks the same - all dark except for the air cell. This is too hard to figure out!
AGHHHHHHH

I think I would leave it in if it doesn't smell. Is there some way you can separate it from the other egg? Maybe wrap it loosely with paper towel or surround it with cardboard. That way, if it does explode, it will be easier to contain.
That is a hard question. You are so close to hatch date, I don't think a couple more days would hurt, but I have no experience with that, so I don't know for sure.
Keep an eye (and nose) on it.
Best of luck...
fl.gif

Thanks for all the support and suggestions
smile.png

I put it in a styrofoam meat tray (from the grocery store that I washed well), and covered it with a damp paper towel. Hopefully, that will help contain it if it does blow.

I will keep my nose on it. Today is the last day of turning, so I will have to smell it through the holes in the incubator.

Well, I just got done candling here at day 14; 41 eggs in the bator and 4 had to be thrown out.
sad.png
Three of them were all clear and the other one had died.
sad.png
sad.png
I am just keeping my fingers crossed on all of the rest. It is too hard for me to judge on some of them if there is still a living chick inside at this stage. One thing that is different for me this time around is that there is absolutely no odor to the eggs at all. The last time there were several big stinkies in there but none of them busted. I am going by the smell right now that everything is ok for the moment...

Wish you all the best of luck. We only have a week to go!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Well, first of all, I don't think 4 eggs is that high of a number. I think you're doing well if only one had any development... congratulations!
I had 8 clears - 3 weren't even fertile. Then 2 died during the 1st week... both were from local white shelled eggs.
I'm at 24 eggs now & I hope they all hatch.
My DH told me to stay under 30 chickens... I already have 6 hens, a teen chick, & 16 little chicks. If they all hatch, that will give me 46 chickens & a pea chick. DH is gonna have to build a couple more coops!
clap.gif

Good luck with all your eggs... what are you going to do with all those chicks!!??

I candled last night. 11 BBS orps still developing nicely, and 2 BO crosses as well. So I have 13 out of the 17 that I originally set. Pretty good so far. I can't believe we are in the last week already!

Back
Top Bottom