Anyone else hatching 6/25? Chicks are here!

My pea hen is sitting on 5 eggs. Expect to hatch 7-1-09. Put an add on Craiglist and sold them the next day. When I take the babies away, I usually get a 2nd hatch in August. Does your pea hen lay a 2nd clutch of eggs?

Quote:
I have to be honest and tell you that I don't know because we have only had the pair of peacocks for a couple of months now! We bought them from an older woman who was moving to be closer to her children and selling off her poultry stock. I was not sure if I needed to go ahead and let my peahen try to raise them up a bit or take them after they hatch...I had no real idea that they would be worth enough money for someone to buy them just hatched out, seems like a lot of trouble in a way being as you have to raise them up from a chick. They aren't as easy as say, baby chicks. Since I only have the one white male and female and 2 already hatched little chicks, I kinda wanted to get a few before I think about selling them. What are the new little chicks worth?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Well, first of all, I don't think 4 eggs is that high of a number. I think you're doing well if only one had any development... congratulations!
I had 8 clears - 3 weren't even fertile. Then 2 died during the 1st week... both were from local white shelled eggs.
I'm at 24 eggs now & I hope they all hatch.
My DH told me to stay under 30 chickens... I already have 6 hens, a teen chick, & 16 little chicks. If they all hatch, that will give me 46 chickens & a pea chick. DH is gonna have to build a couple more coops!
clap.gif

Good luck with all your eggs... what are you going to do with all those chicks!!??

What am I gonna do with all these chicks? Just love 'em, I guess. We built a new coop, one side a nursery coop and run and the other side is for the silkies with a huge pen attached to their side. So, I can handle a few more! But, if I end up with a whole bunch, I guess I will be selling some of them at some point. Silkies are rather hard to come by here and anyone that has a few of them are looking for more-I know that I am!
Best of wishes for a plentiful hatch to you as well!
yippiechickie.gif

Sorry for changing the subject.
hide.gif
I just wanted to really know y'all's opinion on this:

"---TIP--- When using an incubator for hatching , on the day that you stop turning the eggs or that they go in the hatching tray, change the water in the humidity trays. Instead of plain tap water use a bleach solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. You will get fewer dead in the shells. These are chicks that die in the egg, just before they were to hatch. After the breeding season the incubator is cleaned with the same bleach solution."

Quoted from here: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4175/breeding.html

Seems
like a really reliable site. I think I might try this out. What do you guys think?

Quote:
I can't use bleach - makes my throat close. I clean my incubator with hospital grade Lysol, so I don't think that will work for me!
I also use sponges... I don't fill the water wells at all.
If you try it, let us know how it works.

(Bleach=Blech!
sickbyc.gif
)

Update - I decided to break the leaking egg - it was starting to get a funky smell; not really bad, but...

Well, it had NOTHING in it! All this time it was filling up with dark that I thought was a gosling, was nothing more than yellow goo. There was no evidence of an embryo at all. Live and learn.

Now I suspect the other egg that I thought was developing but have not seen movement in is the same. Since it's not leaking, I will wait it out, but don't have much hope that these were viable eggs.

I will now live vicariously through the rest of your hatches!
smile.png

This is what I have in the incubator for the 25th:
Sumatras
Ameraucana
OEGBs
Silkies
BLRWs
Standard Cochins

I'm sorry, kcardella.
hugs.gif
I know the chance is small, but I hope that last egg has someone in it. I also hope you have a better time of it when you ever try again.

Quote:
The pressure is on, baby eggies!
barnie.gif

Oh! Hi, there MagsC!
frow.gif
You have a really nice assortment of eggs there. I hope we all get to see them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom