Anyone else hatching 6/25? Chicks are here!

Quote:
I like the carton method best.
Hatched chicks aren't rolling the other eggs around.
There is virtually no mess to clean up - just throw out the carton. The chicks seem to do just fine pipping & zipping while stabilized in the carton.
I believe (no proof to back this up - just seems to work better for me) that shipped eggs do better in cartons. It might have something to do with the air cell - or maybe it is just coincidence.
It's also easier to turn the eggs. (They stay where you put them.) Or you can just put a wedge under the side of the carton and switch it from side to side instead of turning the eggs individually.
Give it a try sometime & see if it makes a difference for you.
smile.png

Quote:
Where do you get this mesh shelf liner? I have been thinking along the same lines about wanting to keep a cleaner hatching environment, not to mention a more comfortable place for the chicks to hatch onto.
smile.png

After they all hatch, I do put them all on a small towel in the incubator; it seems to help with the drying process as well as being oh so much more comfortable than that wire!
big_smile.png

I actually found some at the dollar store. But you can get it at Wal-mart in the section where they sell regular shelf paper. It is like a spongy material that has tiny holes in it to let the moisture through, but not too big of holes that the chicks will get their feet stuck.

Thanks for the info; I am actually going to the dollar store tomorrow to get some 9 volt batteries so I will check it out. I think I have used that stuff before in my cabinets and it is soft and spongy with tiny holes in it. Thanks again and best of luck with your hatch!
fl.gif

Quote:
Me... nervous... nah, of course n ----- OMG! Whats my temp? What's my humidity? Is everything ready??? AAAHHHHHH!!!
No, really, I'm pretty excited this time... expecting a really good hatch. I just candled and with the exception of a couple of darker shelled eggs, I saw movement in all. Well, almost.
I think my peachick gave up sometime last week. There seems to be too much "space" and not enough chick. I don't think it'll hatch, but I'm leaving it in there anyway.
hu.gif

I just can't wait for this hatch to be over. It all started with these pea eggs and they're the only ones that didn't make it to the end (well, and 2 of the white mystery local eggs) and 28 days is a looooong time to wait - only to be let down in the end.
It will be exciting to see what these mystery chicks are, though.
And... looks like I'll be working towards a 100% hatch rate on my shipped eggs - they've all made it this far! Yay silkies!!
Lockdown in less than 24 hours!
We're almost there!

Good luck everyone! I can't wait to see pictures. I am sending special hatching vibes to you Paganbird for that peachick
smile.png

My last goose egg started to smell, and I took it out. Both of them had developed air cells, and the rest of the egg looked like all thick yolk. I am guessing that they started to develop (thus the air cell and the egg getting darker - I definitely saw bodies in there), and after they died, they simply broke down.
sad.png

Lock down has begun for me. I have my RH at 68%. I think it's a little high, but Brinsea directions asked it to be 65% or more, so.... Gaaaah! I am freaking out! I can't stand this waiting!
barnie.gif

One of my incubators is on lockdown now, the other is going to be on lockdown after quail finish hatching.(It was a surprise because last year when I tried button quail I didnt have any success.)
I always get nervous the week of the hatch, checking temps and humidity constantly!!!!
smile.png

I have one more "turning" and then it's lockdown for me, too.
I am expecting all 23 chickens, but I've given up un the pea egg. It doesn't smell, so I'll leave it in, though. I think I probably lost it with the last power outtage.
I put all the 3 week olds in the "nursery" with my singleton 2-month-old chick. The brooder is all ready... now I just have to wait for those chicks!
fl.gif

68% humidity was making me nervous, so I went with my instincts. It's now at a steady 60%. I'm goin' crazy over here, if you guys can't tell. XD

I've kept humidity between 50% - 60% throughout. I'll be bumping it up to 70% for lockdown.
This is the 1st time I've run my humidity that high through incubation & it looks like this will be my best hatch yet!
(I usually run humidity at about 35% then bump up to almost 50% for hatch.)

Back
Top Bottom