Anyone else have a horse that LOVES Wormer?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenzoo, Aug 18, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I swear my Quarb pinto mare is such a loon.... she LOVES wormer, sucks it right from the tube! She would eat the tube if I didn't pry it out of her mouth. She also likes medicine..... most kinds. When the other horses go running at just a whiff of it, she comes running... silly horse.

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Mine hate it like normal horses [​IMG]
    Sometimes need a twitch to apply it.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    A few of my goaties love Safeguard...

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    My mini mule gets really light in the front end (lol) at the mere sight of the tube. It takes a few minutes of persuasion to even get in into her mouth. My two miniature horses tolerate the stuff. I do have two goats that beg for it, so much nicer than the two that make it into a wrestling match! I use an apple flavored formulation of ivermectin on my rabbits too, some of them like it, some, not so much. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Me! I have a retired Lipizzaner-Morgan-Arab cross who loves all types of wormer and has to be watched carefully to make sure he does not suck the plastic tube in and chew and swallow *that* too [​IMG]

My other two horses, and all other horses I can recall worming while working at various barns, loathed the stuff like any normal animal.

Pat

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Mine hates wormer too, but loves Acculytes electrolytes. Some years back after I had just dosed herw ith electrolytes, the vet came out to give shots and Coggins etc. and when the vet went to give her the strangles vaccine, she grabbed the end of the intranasal tube and began sucking on it. She also likes Corta-Flex.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I think I'm spoiled with Max...

He just kind of stands there and lets me do it....doesn't freak at the sight of it. Probably because I give him a treat afterwards! [​IMG] He would jump through fire for treats....

8. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Mine could care less about the wormer, but I did have a Haflinger mare that would eat bute tablets out of your hand.

9. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

My daughtesr mongan will eat anything. Loves wormer. Even ate a hamburger once!!

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Diva likes to eat eggs also...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by