Anyone else have chicks shipping this week?

Hugapug (awesome name by the way), I wish we had an even bigger assortment! The plan was 2 white, 2 red, 2 black, until I put my foot down and demanded some standard chickens. So we eliminated 1 black and 1 red.
They are all beautiful. Black had some gray spots until she started getting her more mature fluff, and she's now jet black. The red looked like a partridge up until a few days ago - now she's getting some nice red coloring in on her chest and the back of her neck. I think she'll be my favorite color - buff was my choice for silkies but I think this will be pretty similar. The whites looked a little whiter with the newer fluff coming in, but I swear they're still slightly yellow.
They do indeed look like cottonballs. I am so happy with the fluffy tail development. DH looked like a kid at Christmas last night, holding one in his lap and petting that little rabbit tail. His face was pure glee.
My original plan was just 2 silkies. Then it turned into 4 silkies. Then it was 1 silkie and 1 surprise Barred Rock. Now I wait for my 5 from MPC. So in roughly 10 days, I am going from 2 to 7. Is this what they call "Chicken Math"?? What's funny is that the buff is not the color I originally wanted but then it's like having children, you get what you get and life turns out ok
smile.png
I just want my 5 chicks next week to arrive here (So. Cal) safe and sound. They can be red, white and blue for all I care. Also, "hugapug" is from having 2 very sweet pugs for 16 1/2 years. They have been gone for a year now so hubby said to go ahead and get chickens. I swear, I think they came back reincarnated as the silkie and the barred rock I have now LOL Love the part about your husband. Mine loves to massage the silkie (her name is Lola) and works hard looking for bugs in the garden. He won't admit it but he's a closet chicken lover
celebrate.gif

Here are just a couple of pictures I took from last night, for some reason, most of my photos turned out blurry, so I will have to take some more.

The first is of my Partridge Silkie and Blue Silkie.....oh the fluffy cuteness!

The next is of what I believe is a buff brahma bantam and also a black silkie :)

I had them sit on my daughter's princess chair...thought it was fitting for them
wink.png
Oh my gosh, how cute are they!!

Well decided on the XL dog crate and attached the lamp on the outside they seem ok there is lots of chirping and activity going on and they are not huddled together tightly shivering ( I am going to get a thermometer tommorrow)-- I have them in the spare room over the garage and it must be at least 80 degrees in here (warmer under the lamp of course)-- luckily the low tonight is in the 70's it is dropping to the 60's over the weekend (when I am out of town) so hopefully the lamp on the outside of the crate will do the trick ( I want it on the outside for safety/ curious puppy and child knocking it over etc... So far they have been eating like crazy and very busy little birds they spent the day out under a tree in the 100 degree heat and did ok!

You're welcome! I never got to use it, but wished I had one once my babies arrived and they looked so little and vulnerable in their brooder. I had seen a picture of one in a brooder posted somewhere but forgot to buy one before our shipment got here.

The excitement of chick arrival is so fun! I am expecting mine tomorrow. It started with watching Food Inc and after researching "meat bird" breeds we went with Freedom Rangers. I am splitting a shipment of 25 with my friend and then decided that my flock was getting a little small so I ordered some layer hens from Ideal. Two each of golden, red and black sex-links. Two polish for my son (hopefully girls!) and two buff rocks (looking forward to seeing how these girls look compared to the Barred Rock).

I was about to go get bedding for the chicks (multipurpose pellets) when the post office called to say my chicks were in. I thought that they'd be my layer chicks from Ideal in Texas, but they were the Freedom Rangers from JM Hatchery in PA. All 25 are doing great, thank goodness. Hopefully I'll be equally lucky with my other shipment of chicks. Here's a pic of them in the box.

I was about to go get bedding for the chicks (multipurpose pellets) when the post office called to say my chicks were in. I thought that they'd be my layer chicks from Ideal in Texas, but they were the Freedom Rangers from JM Hatchery in PA. All 25 are doing great, thank goodness. Hopefully I'll be equally lucky with my other shipment of chicks. Here's a pic of them in the box.

They are so cute!!! congrads. on the heathy chicks
celebrate.gif
,I also have chicks coming from Texas from Ideal, will be delivered the 7/19 this month!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom