Anyone else have issues with plastic waterer not locking?

Angiebubs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Amery, WI WI/MN border
So today, lugged seveal of the big (not sure how many gallons-just know it was heavy) waterers in, cleaned/bleached, then added ACV, vitamin/electro, made sure they were "locked" into place, and lugged them back out through like 4 doors, tripped over barn cat etc.
I get out there turn them upside down (right side up?)and water everywhere!!!???!!!!! The locking deal (locking top to bottom) didnt obviously work. Then I take the smaller one into the smaller coop-same thing happens! SO now I have all this water all over my bedding in the coop.
I cleaned it up and re did but my question/concern is; What if this happened in the winter?? This would be seriously dangerous to the chickens.
Anyone else have this problem??? Or recommendations?

Is it the kind where you put the lid (actually the bottom) on and turn it a bit so it slides over the tabs on the water container? I have that kind, and I know you are only supposed to turn it a little way, not try to get it to cover the whole tab. I keep mine in the enclosed run, not in the coop where the bedding is, so it's not a problem if it slops when I flip it over. Maybe you could flip it over after you get out to the coop but before putting it inside? Did it just slop or did the whole top come off?

YES, I've had that problem! So very frustrating - especially when you've just cleaned the coop out to begin with and put down fresh bedding.
he.gif
Switched to one of those Le Bistro dog waterers (2.5 gal) you can get from Walmart's and haven't had an issue with it since.

tarragon : Yes-I put it on and carried it out, then flipped it when I got to the coop, and somehow the bottom came "unlatched" when I turned it over. The smaller one was fine, I set it down, then picked it up to move it and it must have been enough to loosed it up! ARGH What do you use in the coop?

LiLRedCV : I have a relatively new coop....chickens in it for less than a month and Im trying the Deep litter method. So this kinda messed that up-took all the wet shavings out. Im just worried-if that happened in the winter? It would freeze and then Id have issues with moisture as well! What to do? I will be stopping at Walmart asap and picking up a dog waterer. Trying to figure out what Im going to do for winter water as well

thats a good idea i might switch to the dog waterer. The chicken waterer i have now prob the same one seems flimsy as can be now much less when the temps drop and start to freeze.

Quote:
We just built a new (bigger) coop and moved our girls in less than a month ago. We have opted to try the deep litter method also! I have the dog waterer up on large concrete blocks to keep it above the litter, but sometimes the gals will get a little too enthusiastic about tossing the litter around and it goes up and in the bowl part. Still it's a LOT better than the alternative of what I was dealing with in regards to the original chicken waterers! Our temps rarely get to freezing here (average winter temps are about 45 in the winter), but it's been known to happen. I'm looking into a better solution as well for those days. Might get a heating pad to fit under it to see if that'll help keep it moving or wrap it with an insulation of sorts (much like a hot water tank?).

Boy! Can I ever relate! I had that happen many times, and soaked the shavings in the coop, too!

I got sick of the mishaps and retired all those waterers to just being outdoors in the summer. I bought new ones with threaded bottoms so they are on to stay! However, if I'm not careful to get the bottom screwed on straight, I've had those come off, too. But they're far more reliable than the ones that only fit under the tabs of the water jar.

If your feed store doesn't have the screw-on kind, ask them to get their catalog out and order some for you.

yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has done that. I totally doused myself with it one day, literaly the bottom half front of my body was dripping- i could wring my jeans out! My husband seems to not have problems with it and i don't understand how he does it. I hate the darn thing.

Quote:
I don't keep food or water in the coop. The "coop" where they sleep is up a ramp within the fully enclosed outer coop/run. I am able to keep the pop door open, so in the morning they come down the ramp and have access to the food and water, once I open the outer door they can head out to my backyard to forage.

Back
Top Bottom