Anyone else into tropical fish?

Yessur Ebob

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have 5 serepae tetras, 1 rainbow shark, and a corydora.

What do you have and what are your plans for the future? Pics welcome.
smile.png

I used to have fish, they were relaxing. I got tired of cleaning the tank.

Now I clean chicken poop instead.

I have a 75 gallon tank

in it i have a 19" eel, 13" Pleco, 8" polypterus, 3 6" tin foil barbs, 4 4" glass cats, 1 red tail shark, 1 black skirt tetra, 3 african butterfly fish.

i don't have any further plans for adding to this tank.

21930_12252009pets_009.jpg

21930_snow_pictures_015.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a lot. Mostly saltwater. Best one was a 175 gallon reef tank that had lots of coral an over the years had everything from Porcupine puffers to Lion fish to seahorses. One time I also hand built a tall 10 gallon an built a sand fountain in to it..

Fresh water we use to keep Parana.

I dont have any tanks set up right now but I have a 15 gallon tall tank sitting here I have plains for another (bigger) sand fountain.

Last edited:
I've downsized. Currently have three freshwater setups: a mixed South American 90g, a fully planted 29g, and a hardscaped 20L with N. brevis juvies. I have partial water changes down to a fine art.

I have a 55 gallon planted freshwater tank with an albino ancistrus, a couple rasboras, hi fin black tetras, barbs, siamese algae eater, yoyo loach- I think that's it!
A 90 gallon with African cichlids, mainly mbuna
A 29 gallon fish only with live rock salt water, has a true clown percula, and a purple firefish goby
A 10 gallon with only plants right now,
An empty 20 gallon
And a tall 38 gallon that has the goldfish from the outdoor pond in it for winter. Those usually stay out and I put a floating heater in the pond, but the liner developed a leak, and won't keep enough water not to freeze this year. So I guess we will be re-doing the pond in the Spring!

Plans? Yeah, Summer is when the tanks get neglected, so I plan to rip out most of the overgrown plants in the 55 and replant it with nicer stuff, and add a few more fish. I want to add a couple cichlids to the big tank as well. And the saltwater- it's a mess right now! Need to get another water pump in there, a protein skimmer and figure out why my snails keep dying 'cause it's getting over run with algae. A few projects....

Up to 25 years ago I used to have a room with over 2000 gallons of water in tanks, mostly S American and African cichlids--power company did some work on the transformer without telling me and I lost about $1000 worth of fish. Never replaced them and sold most of the 500 gallon tanks. I'm also a Fellow of the American Cichlid Assoc. and used to write for a national aquarium publication. Now I just keep chickens and cats--gives me enough to do.

Last edited:
I have a 30 gal with 8 rasbora heteromorpha, 3 diamond tetras, 2 botia striata, 2 skunk botia, a small pleco, 2 small chinese algae eaters. Had some nice bamboo shrimp, but I think the botia did them in!

And planted, too, with plants going out of control...........

Last edited:
right now the family has a cold water pond/tank with comets shubbies and koi in (pond in the spring/summer, tank throguh the winter, planning on expanding the pond in the spring. and going deeper so we dont have to bring them in each fall...

i personally have a 55 gallon all male peacock cichlid tank. (plus 1 random tiger barb who i dont even know where he came from but hes been in there for 3 years and is quite happy lol)
when i get my own place id love to expand on the peacock tank, probably go for 125 gals in the main room of the house (i heart my peacocks!)
id love to then turn the 55 into a planted discus and tetra tank
smile.png
for the bedroom

i want my own koi pond at my house too!

and id LOVE a jellyfish tube, i just dont know where id put it, id probably end up designing a small black room around a changing light jellyfish tank...mabe when im rich
tongue.png

Anybody had much success with cardinal tetras? I understand the water has to be acid? More acid than a lot of other fish like?

Do neons like it the same way?

Back
Top Bottom