anyone else living in the northeast sick of all this rain?

On the cape it has been nonstop, no breather at all. My poor husband started our coop and beleive it or not when it was just dripping he would run out and work on it and then run back in when it downpoured. He hasn't been able to touch it for two days now at all.

You can say that again. I am so sick of all this rain, I can not remember a June that was ever like this! The NorthEast feels like a rainforest this year.

Bill.

my coop is done but my paint job on it isnt. i was under the impression that maine had cancelled spring, and summer was pending, but i did not know they were going to drown us before zipping back into winter.
wink.png

glowing orb? what is this orb you speak of and how does it glow????

I think my chickens (and my feet for that matter) are getting water logged.
My horses go out for a day and in for two. The hay fields are growing so fast and going to seed before we can even get the equipment on them to cut.
Should I be building an ark instead of a new coop?
gig.gif

Quote:
So glad for the 4th day of sun, the run has finally dried out! Can you tell me where you found the guy that butchers for $1.25 a bird? Over the years I have sold my flock at two years to some older guys that butchered for themselves (now deceased) and sold the last two just before 2 for layers. Had no trouble finding buyers for the last two in the Merchandiser, but sold them real cheap. I now have 27 bantams in the brooder and am expecting lots of roosters. DH says we will butcher them, but I can't imagine it happening!! I also would like to thin my flock of 12 birds, as I have 2 BOs that do not lay. These birds are just over a year old. I don't know if there is a way to "cook" 1-2 year old birds to make them edible. Anyway if you can say where you go, I would appreciate the info for the future. Also what feed mill do you go to that is 45 minutes away? I have lived here 25 years and you have more info then me living here a short time. Thanks.

i want to know the answers to cindys questions too! :)
Cindy where in pa are u from?

As for us around here, we too are on our fourth day with no rain! YAYYYY but it is supposed to start again tommorrow. If theres any karma in the world it will prob rain thru the weekend too. ugh.

Quote:
I am outside of Reading, address is Fleetwood, area Breezy Corners for those around here! I have gotten my feed from Oley Feed for a few years & before at Browns in Fleetwood. I remember hearing that there was a guy who butchered on another thread, but didn't know if it was around here.

Quote:
I am outside of Reading, address is Fleetwood, area Breezy Corners for those around here! I have gotten my feed from Oley Feed for a few years & before at Browns in Fleetwood. I remember hearing that there was a guy who butchered on another thread, but didn't know if it was around here.

Cindy,
My hubby works in Fleetwood. They get their feed at Brown's. I just found out about them. I've been to Oley, but honestly, I can run up to that place in Berville and get the same stuff. I really wasn't impressed.

I go to Brandt's in Lebanon. I found them while looking for feed for my horse. I grew up in Ky and the mill from my hometown has a mill up in Carlisle. Brandt's is a dealer for them. I get my sweet feed, oats, beet pulp, scratch, layer(they mill their own. It's really nice) and the Purina Flockraiser there. I get everything else at the TSC up the road off 5th ave by the Wal-mart. I pay a bit more for the horse feed, but I pay less for everything else than TSC.

I will be getting my beet pulp from Leid's next time. I want it with out molasses and I can't get that at tSC or Brandt's. Brown carries it, but they said they are having a shortage and are only carrying the 25# vs the 40#. Of course Leid's has really good selection of real leather tack! Several of the places i've gone just don't have a good choice if they have any at all. Sometimes I really miss Lexington, KY!!!

As for the butcher. I found two guys down in New Holland. I took my birds out to Walter Nolt. He only processes on Tuesdays and you have to call for an appointment, but he's fast and cheap. It was $1.25 for a whole bird. If you want it cut it's a bit more. You do have to bring your own containers to put the birds in but still, it's $1.25!!! There's another guy named Aaron Martin he's a bit more $1.75 and he'll packaged for an additional $.60 per bird.

If you don't mind driving down there, I can pm you the phone numbers. Brandt's is in downtown Lebanon off 9th street.

Back
Top Bottom