anyone else notice there hens not laying much

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Oct 4, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    mine have dropped by a half dozen the last 2 weeks shorter days here in maine. i added light to coop on a timer its been a week. still only 6 eggs a day. 6 for 23 laying hens.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The days are getting shorter and also, if you'll look around here on BYC, alot of folks have hens molting right now. Mine are.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    with the temp finally out of the 100s my hens are shooting eggs out like little feathered M-16s!

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    A lady at church and I were discussing this ..this morning. LOL Between us we have over seventy chickens and I am only getting 4 eggs per day and she is getting about 4 or 6. Plus, I have orps! I will not put a light in there as it is not good for them to be forced to lay...BUT THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION. Follow your own beliefs on that one. Nothing is written in stone. [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just had some of my birds molt and now more are starting. My egg count has been down. I think mine is a combination of molting and it's been hot here where we are in Florida. They have shade and a fan in their coop but have still slowed down.

6. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    MY chickens layed 20 eggs on Christmas Day. Now it is fall & their first molt. I got so few eggs the last part of the week (4, 4, 5...) that I was overjoyed to get 8 eggs today! [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are slowing down too. I got 5 eggs today (out of 6 pullets), but I've been as low as 2.

I also refuse to add light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by