anyone else notice there hens not laying much

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
mine have dropped by a half dozen the last 2 weeks shorter days here in maine. i added light to coop on a timer its been a week. still only 6 eggs a day. 6 for 23 laying hens.

Last edited:
The days are getting shorter and also, if you'll look around here on BYC, alot of folks have hens molting right now. Mine are.

A lady at church and I were discussing this ..this morning. LOL Between us we have over seventy chickens and I am only getting 4 eggs per day and she is getting about 4 or 6. Plus, I have orps! I will not put a light in there as it is not good for them to be forced to lay...BUT THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION. Follow your own beliefs on that one. Nothing is written in stone.
wink.png

I just had some of my birds molt and now more are starting. My egg count has been down. I think mine is a combination of molting and it's been hot here where we are in Florida. They have shade and a fan in their coop but have still slowed down.

MY chickens layed 20 eggs on Christmas Day. Now it is fall & their first molt. I got so few eggs the last part of the week (4, 4, 5...) that I was overjoyed to get 8 eggs today!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom