Anyone else overrun with ducks right now?

I wish I was overrun!!!
lol.png
I have to wait until spring to have hatch some more out. Right now I only have 9, an all time low for me. If anyone is feeling overwelmed they can bring me their extra ducks
wink.png
lol.png

Well, before May 25 of this year I had no ducks at all. - Right now I have over 100 with more hatching soon, I also have about 50 chickens - mostly Silkies and Cochins just to hatch out duck eggs for me, most are too young right now but I am hoping by spring some of those hens will want to sit on some eggs. I am not quite sure how all this started or where its going to end. I thought it would be a big chore wintering 25 ducks, but I guess I will have about 150 to winter - should be interesting here in ND since we have cold snaps in the winter where it does not get above 0 for up to 3 weeks. Temperatures get down to -30 and the wind can blow for days on end. Maybe by spring I will have had enough - I doubt it.
cool.png

I just tried to count ducks a couple days ago! Most of them go down to the creek and pond during the day, but come up to the buildings at night. I got to 73 muscovies that I could see while standing in the middle of the yard. I know there is a group of muscovies that hang out in the cattle yard too. Then there is a mixture of about 50 Rouens, Buffs, Khakis & Swedish. Plus about 50 Black East Indies & Calls also. Add in around 150 geese......................no wonder they go thru so much corn.

I wish i knew how yall are having over 100 ducks! I mean I can still be social with my 39 and know each of their personalities but 100?!

Quote:
around here we say "get out there and free range 'cuz its FREE!!!"
;-)

after they reach a certain age (about when they can fly) we've just let ours range.. but we have a big property and a pond. they are great at finding food. we supplement of course but honestly a group we had last year didnt even need us at all until the pond froze over.

we had great luck selling ours!

Back
Top Bottom