Anyone else setting eggs this fall?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenlynn4, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I must be crazy to be doing it again in the fall, but I just got the move over with and I really want to hatch! I have a new brooder house so I cant wait!

PS!!! If I owe you any eggs PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! I lost track of things durring the move and got really confused. My internet was off for about 2 moths, but is back up and running now. My email is: [email protected] still Please contact me because I dont want to forget about anyone.

The girls are moulting now, but should start to lay again soon! JEN

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I just set my eggs yesterday. My first attempt at hatching. [​IMG]

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I set one more bator full last night..these should be the last though-hatched 50 last week and some dth today and tomorrow.I have so many fuzzy butts chirping around here right now [​IMG]

4. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    I am waiting on shipped Orpington Eggs. I hope I at least get 1 hen out of the bunch. I think I'll be setting these Monday when they arrive. My incubator seems to be working well, within 1 degree of 100 and without water 45-50% humidity...with water it went up to 65-70 with vent plugs pulled. Sound ok?

I wanted to incubate them at the same time as silkie eggs, but I caught a cold and couldn't pick them up from B. Porto on Saturday [​IMG] I'll just have to try the Orpington's for the first time since I'm reading staggering on your first try is a bad idea.

Any advice is welcomed!

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am also waiting on some shipped Orp eggs that should be getting here Monday or Tuesday. It will be my first time incubating. Can't wait!

6. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    I just set some in the incubator they are a mix my father got locally.

7. sawblade

sawblade New Egg

Jul 31, 2009
    Broxton
    I have 150 quail eggs coming this week. I have always had pretty good luck hatching in the fall and they should start laying in time for the spring egg rush when prices are the best for us sellers. I have been out of the egg business for a couple of years but I have a new barn and pens and cant wait to get started again. Good luck with your hatch.

8. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    sounds like I am not the only one! LOL

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, I wasn't planning on it, but it sure looks like I will be. A friend lost her drake today and wants me to hatch out some of his babies while her hens are still fertile. I'll start those on Tuesday. So... yeah, I'm hatching this fall! Fortunately, I don't think I'll have to brood them--I fully intend to hand that task off to my friend, and let HER have the stinky house for a few weeks! [​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have a few projects I am working on, so I will be hatching all winter long. They will be small hatches, nothing like I do in the spring and summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by